Mercury Rigging Grommet PArt # 889724 - Any fixes?

2014 90 ELPT 4S - 2B094252

Was on the lake the other day and noticed a small piece of rubber in the splash well. Looking over the motor I see that the "Rigging Grommet" Mer Part # 889724 has just about popped out and looks like it split at the top.

A little googling turned up quite a few threads on this as it seems to be an issue on the 90's and 115's.

DON - Have they come up with any "Fix" to keep these things in place? I'm going to push this one back in and see how much longer it will last, but seems like a real poor design to me. I talked to Mercury about it and got the "Deer in the headlights" response... Go figure... :-)

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That one just plain needs replacing... it's damaged/broken. Perhaps something is impinging on the free travel of the rigging at some engine trim angle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

LOL... Kinda of thinking that myself... I will give Rhonda a call.