Thread: Prop to pad?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop to pad?!

Hey guys, ive been messing around with jackplate settings and out of curiosity whats the shortest prop to pad height you've heard of? (not saying im going to the shortest) just wanna know if theres any crazy set ups out there.
    keep your lines wet! God bless

2. Member
    Totally dependent on what boat/motor/lower unit combo. Some of the high performance rigs run above pad.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

3. Member
    Are you talking about distance from center of prop shaft to pad? If so depends on boat and lower unit. My boat I run 1-3/8" above pad. I have heard of as high as 1-5/8". Others may be as low as 2 perhaps 3 inches below the pad.

Yep, all depends on the boat/motor combo. I believe most of the go-fast boats (Stroker, Bullet, Allison) run theirs significantly above pad.

If you're tweaking, first maybe check with the board that corresponds to your boat's manufacturer and see if others have recommendations. The boat setup forum is another good spot to see what people have had success with.

The standard advice I've always heard is to keep raising it in small increments until you lose water pressure, then knock it back down to the last position where you had water pressure. For a manual jackplate, a good way to do this is to do it in the summer - just jump in with a wrench (don't drop it, and obviously turn the motor off!) and give it a turn and try it out. This prevents having to trailer and unload it several times while dialing it in.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Damnn I never thought above pad was possible thats pretty damn cool. A friend of mine has an older ranger i believe a 300 some model. His motor sits way up on the transom.. Never asked the hieght but looks pretty damn cool. I've been slowly going up with mine watching that WP like hawk. Im at 2.75 below with 15psi. Sadly I can't find much info on my boat seems as if it doesnt exist lmao.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton.r View Post
    I can't find much info on my boat seems as if it doesnt exist lmao.
    what rig is it?

7. Member
    My last Allison was 1.5 Above pad. Ran either a 28 or a 30 long ear Chopper prop. both have been worked. Mercury mod for engine. Miss it but would have fell out of it several times by now. getting a little wobbly in my old age!

Damnn I never thought above pad was possible thats pretty damn cool. A friend of mine has an older ranger i believe a 300 some model. His motor sits way up on the transom.. Never asked the hieght but looks pretty damn cool. I've been slowly going up with mine watching that WP like hawk. Im at 2.75 below with 15psi. Sadly I can't find much info on my boat seems as if it doesnt exist lmao.
    Raise it till you do a 180 and then start back down. Some boats are designed to run high, most are not.

P01135809

Mine stays locked at 1.5 above whether I'm loaded fishin or tryin to run in the 90s....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Alot of strokers run 2" above and a little more

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Raise it till you do a 180 and then start back down. Some boats are designed to run high, most are not.
    To add to this, different props "like" to run at different depths. In Mercury props, for example, I know that Tempests like to run higher while Furys like to run lower.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    My boats a 1990 starcraft stalker 1800. I've only ever seen or heard of one once, it was for sale. Other than that I havemt came across anything. I even tried reaching out to starcraft themselves.

Itl be interesting to see if this hull will run above pad. This weekend I plan on setting a go pro up and getting a shot or my anti cav plate as well as a good shot of my rooster.

13. Member
    post up some pics!especially pics of the pad and bottom if possible!your only going to be able to go so high without a lwp,and,without a surfacing prop,will not get out of its own way.

My boats a 1990 starcraft stalker 1800. I've only ever seen or heard of one once, it was for sale. Other than that I havemt came across anything. I even tried reaching out to starcraft themselves.

Itl be interesting to see if this hull will run above pad. This weekend I plan on setting a go pro up and getting a shot or my anti cav plate as well as a good shot of my rooster.
    Good luck and hope you don't hurt yourself. I can promise you that your starcraft was not designed to run the motor high. Bullet, Stroker and Allison were.

P01135809

Im guessing you should set it around 2" below and check water pressure. If your wp gauge isnt accurate like if its been thru a winter then get a brand new one before you ever come up from that 2"- we dont want to hear about engine troubles next!!

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    Lmao im not planning on running way high...just tryna see how high i can go safely, good wp etc.

I actually just redid the water pressure setup on the boat so i know shes all good. Tbh thats why i feel comfortable jacking her up more now. I think shes still fairly low right now. I spin 5400 with a 23p aluminum and it takes a little to get to 5400, I would like to be around 5600.

Get a stainless prop. Aluminum props are turds if you want maximum performance.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

My Triton TR20 is set to 2.75 below pad. That gives me just the right water pressure at 5800 RPM. Any higher and I would blow the motor for sure.

19. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My Sprint is 1" below the pad.....I have a magnum gearcase with Titus nosecone.....about to move it up 3/4ths inch....

20. Member
    Do you have a sportmaster? If not you will lose waterpressure long before you truly surface you gearcase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast