Bass and other apex predators. Run away, or stay?

For those who don't feel like reading my book, the jist of what I'm getting at is whether you assume that bass are in an area where you've found other predators, pike in my case, or whether you figure the predators are dominating an area / running the bass off.

Now for the background:

I've really been working on my offshore game a lot lately. Growing up in WV where the only lakes are those made by damming up rivers and where good depth is usually only a few feet off of dry land, I never had to do it. Living in MN and trying to figure out the bass here has, not surprisingly, made it a necessity.

I'm always absorbing as much as I can on the topic, so I appreciate the information being shared in that realm lately!

I ran into a situation the other day while out looking for offshore bass and wasn't quite sure how to approach it. It was the morning after a pretty substantial cold front had gone through. We had daytime highs into the 90s for several days with dew points into the high 60s. That day the high temp topped out at like 79 with a dew point in the 40s. Absolutely BRILLIANT day to be out and about, but high pressure city, no doubt.

I spent a lot of the morning graphing likely areas, and found what I thought was a gem. I had been graphing and dragging all morning on a lake that's mostly silt/sand. While checking out an especially nice looking point that juts out into the main lake, EUREKA! Out past the main outside weed edge was an isolated area of rocks and shells (I only found out there were shells as I managed to hook a giant mussel shell when fishing it later). It was flanked on both sides by some scattered weed growth which I believe to be coontail. On top of this, though I still can't quite get the settings right on my Hook 7, there were definite fish relating to the bottom. Really just textbook.

So I fished it. Hard. Tried quite a few different techniques there. The only success I had was with a deep diving crank bait, but it wasn't with bass. I caught 4 pike over 30 inches off that one spot including a personal best 38 incher and several smaller ones as well. I never did catch a bass on that spot, though I did have a couple light taps on a Carolina rig.

As I reflect, what I'm really wondering is whether I should've turned tail and left once I caught that first big pike off that spot (the 38 incher was my first crankbait cast) instead of wasting my time trying to fish it for bass. I've ice fished enough to know that when a flasher screen full of fish suddenly goes dark, you're about to catch a pike. Do they have the same effect on the bass? Or should I instead look at it from the perspective of the pike are there because there's food and that means the bass are as well?

Generally it's not such a big deal - just keep moving. But this was such a nice, isolated spot, I really felt like it should've been game on. Maybe I could've finessed them with a wacky worm or something? Ordinarily I might think I have my answer, but the high pressure that day had the bass really finicky overall, and pike are immune to fronts. Really looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

We don't have Pike in most lakes, Tiger Muskies in only a few more. I have similar observations. The SEC guys always say to follow the shad, but we don't have those either. We got Perch, Bluegill, Rock Bass (similar to Warmouth), Trout, a few Crappie, and Sculpin. I have seen some sort of lizards in one lake (no Pike or Tigers), but I knew right away by their casual attitude that there was no sense in fishing there. Plus, it was a spot that I'd caught SM on previously.

3. Member
    Pike offshore = no bass.

Thats what I go by as a general rule. If its just one smaller pike no big deal but if you get a couple nice pike I move. It could be just as simple as moving up a point or in the weeds vs the edge. Other times Ive left the spot entirely.

4. Banned
    Snot rockets will stay if there's food but move on just as fast

5. Member
    I catch them mixed all the time.

6. Member
    I don't know how it applies to shallow water . I fish alake that has muskies in it and there was several years in a row that I caught good bass and musky in the back of the same coves . One time there was a nice musky on one side of a stump and the next cast there was a 3.5 lb bass on the other . There was a lot of bait in those coves when it was good . For the last several years there was no bass ,musky or bait . This leads me to believe that the presence of bait plays a role.

7. Member
    Herre in south Louisiana I have had two contrasting experiences with predators for game fish.

In saltwater, I can be catching speckled trout every cast over a school of bait for a while. If a dolphin moves in the trout bite stops almost immediately. Dolphins eat trout just as they eat baitfish. I don't know whether the trout leave or just huddle on the bottom but the bite is done.

In freshwater we have a ton of gators here. I have caught bass from almost underneath them. And they will turn aggressive in an instant as I have had a "sleeping" gator wake up to chase a buzz bait many times.

Just a couple of different data points from gamefish that can be extremely aggressive reacting totally differently with different predators.

8. Banned
    Shallow fish will comingle. Deeper fish won't

9. Member
    Like most things, it depends. I think Snickers is right for the most part. There's a particular ditch I fish on a backwater of the Mississippi in WI between a shallow weedy point and the shore. It's 8-10 feet deep which is deep in this area. I've found I will either catch bass or pike out of it but never both at the same time. Move to the shallow flat 300 yards away and you will catch both mixed in.

I really appreciate the advice. Never would've intuitively figured that they'd mix and not mix depending on the depth, so that's really interesting. It also definitely jives with my experiences so far!

Keep 'em coming!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Spend some time with a camera in the water on productive deeper spots. You'll see every fish in the lake there.

Where there's life, there's life of all types.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers89 View Post
    Shallow fish will comingle. Deeper fish won't
    Did you just come up with that?

13. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 07-19-2017 at 10:42 AM.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Did you just come up with that?
    Funny!