PS-21 interference

Seems lately I've been having some interference issues... if I have it set at say 60', I will see a perfect interference cone from about straight down to about not quite 45 degrees.... could the ps-21 be too low and bouncing signals off the trolling motor head?
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

2. Member
    Screen shots? Also, a pic of how its mounted would help.

Without them Id just be guessing.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    I have no screen shots, I can take a pic of it mounted
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

4. Member
    You said its started recently? Did anything change - like mounting location or angle? Are you fishing a new location? Different trolling motor?

I used to get these rays or beam looking interference patterns every once in a while. I think they were caused by my trolling motor, but Im not sure. They never lasted long enough for me to figure it out for sure.

This type of pattern shows up sometimes when I have a fairly hard bottom.

03MAY16_1112_00.jpg 09FEB16_1354_00a.jpg

5. Member

This is were im getting interference... I did slightly lower the ducer a couple inches.... but its still about 14" above the trolling motor head. I lowered it slightly because it was hitting the "U-guide" thing on the trolling motor when stowed up.
    I guess I could have moved it too low but I only moved it 3-4" from previous spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Two clicks down is standard. Have you tried one click or even straight to see if your bouncing the trolling motor.

Don't know what trolling motor you have. I have Minnkota Maxxum. I added a ground wire to the motor housing and it eliminated most if not all of my interference problems.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Two clicks down is standard. Have you tried one click or even straight to see if your bouncing the trolling motor.

Don't know what trolling motor you have. I have Minnkota Maxxum. I added a ground wire to the motor housing and it eliminated most if not all of my interference problems.
    MinnKota Fortrex 112

adding ground wire???
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Run a ground from your battery or tap into aux ground located at the bow. Run it down to the motor. I tested it first by scraping a little paint off under the transducer clamp. Once I knew it worked I tapped a screw into the fin added a fitting to the wire and screwed it down. See YouTube for a video. Your fortrex may have a ground built in so check it first.

Last edited by ifishinxs; 07-11-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Since this is something new, Im not sure a ground wire will help. It might if this is caused by a change in the wiring or the guts of the trolling motor. Things do change as they age. I would do a test like ifishinxs did to see if it helps.

If the lowering is the only recent change, then try raising it up as hi as it will go and see if that makes any difference. Thats a fast way to check. I also agree, try changing the tilt angle and see what that does.

10. Member

11. Member
    or maybe this example

120417_1044_00III.jpg

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    or maybe this example

yes similar
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

13. Member
    Have a look at this Garmin video on the PS22. The LiveVu Forward looks pretty good. The LiveVu Down sure has a lot of stray returns.

My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.