Thread: CV52 vs GT52

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post

I will redo the tests again with covering piezoes like others have done ... When I get time ...
    Looks like this is the only way to see how DI returns effect the SI views, and it would be really interesting.

2. Member
    Ok so today got my 93sv chirp... says on transducer tag cv52 so is this bad one ?

3. Banned
    its not "bad" but the GT52 is the preferred one

4. Member
    Ok so I don’t have good one ?

5. Member
    Anybody know when they started putting gt52 in new ones ? Bc Parentally this new if it’s new why do I have old transducer ?

6. Member
    Ok thing I need know anybody have and idea when’s garmin started to put new gt model in box with 93sv Chirp

7. Member
    It's my understanding that the CV52 is what comes with the new units.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    Heres the last shot I wanted to upload
    I think it needed downsized
    Schins, can you post a picture of your transducer location on your boat??

9. Banned
    I had it on a “stick” clamped to the transom. Just a piece of 1x1 with the transducer screwed on and the whole thing clamped to the upper transom.

I just eye-balled it......no special measuring or anything like that, however I did have it level to the water line and sitting down in the water deeper so it wouldnt get any blocked view from the lower unit.

10. Member
    Ok, so my question after all the technical talk is simply which transducer do I buy? I have an 73sv that came with the CV52. The transducer got damaged (that’s another story and another discussion). I think it still works, but I don’t trust it anymore and I’m going to replace it. Is there any reason other than cost that I shouldn’t get the GT52? Thanks For taking the time to compare these transducers.

11. Banned
    The CV may shoot a wider side-to-side beam, but other than that I see no other reason to not get the GT

12. Member
    This whole CV/GT thing is not nearly as complicated as some make it. Every transducer beam is stronger in the center than on the edges and is stronger near than far. For instance I have yet to use a 2d transducer (any brand any wattage) that won't show me fish at 100 ft. But, if you did have one that didn't show fish at 100 ft, but did at 70 and you only fish 30 ft deep just what difference does it make except to brag that you can prove one is better when you get to 100 ft.

The CV's produce the ClearVu/DownVu image in the software by looking at the overlappying side cones. Will that always work.....No. At around 70 ft it starts petering out due to the weakness of the returns. So in 100 FOW, you are not going to like it. The GT/CV50 is a bit stronger (50 more watts) and the GT/CV51 more than double the watts (600) so they would work much deeper.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Member
    It doesn’t even look like I can buy a CV52 if I wanted one. Probably because they are only supplying them with the boxed units, as others have said. There are a few places selling the GT52, so there’s my answer. I spoke to a customer service rep at Garmin, who was pretty helpful. He said to jump on the GT52 if I could find one and also said that there are no plans to include the GT with the new units in the United States for the foreseeable future. I rarely fish deep, so in reality I probably won’t notice much difference, and to be frank, I use 2D much more than down imaging. I just figured I’d ask since I may as well get the better transducer to replace the damaged one. I don’t think I’d replace the CV if I didn’t need to. Then again, I may install the GT, hit the water and say, Wow, this thing rocks compared to the CV.

I was looking to buy a Striker 7 SV unit since they just dropped to $399. Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro all had the newer striker units with the CV52s but noticed Academy had a different model number Striker 7SV showing online. Sure enough they had 2 units from 2016 still in the box with the GT52 transducer.

010-01554-00

15. Member
    Striker 7sv, at $400, with gt 52 - or a 73sv, at $450, with any side scan capable transducer?

16. Member
    TTT

17. Member
    I wish the experts would summarize their findings. This thread is hard to read, and if any conclusion was reached, I missed it, other than CV52 Clear View is not true down imaging and craps out at 70 feet. Or something. How do the SV pictures compare?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    I wish the experts would summarize their findings. This thread is hard to read, and if any conclusion was reached, I missed it, other than CV52 Clear View is not true down imaging and craps out at 70 feet. Or something. How do the SV pictures compare?
    You got it. IMO SV is the same.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

19. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have a gt 52 coming today I’ll get out and see if there’s a difference between the cv and gt the pics the gt might be a little better

20. Member
    I have the 52 GT which came with my 2 year old 93sv that is on my Console. I have just install the new 93sv plus on my TM. Since I will be using the 93sv on the TM for actual fishing I might switch the 2 transducers out if new CV seems any different to me. I do drop shot quite a bit but it under 60 ft 99% of the time.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast