Thread: G Loomis NRX

G Loomis NRX

I ended up getting one of these rods which is a story by itself. I ended up choosing the 7' MH casting rod for a jig rod. I haven't had much luck throwing jigs so I figured this would help with sensitivity.

My first time out with this rod I was afraid to use it just in case it broke. At $525, I didn't even want anyone seeing me with it in case they wanted to steal it. I used it a few times and was impressed with how light the rod is. I still was not seeing how it cost so much. Caught a small bass on it, nothing big at all. It handled decent.

Second time out I really noticed how light it was. My other rods that I have thrown for years were much heavier than this rod. Caught a few bass on it but still could not see why it costs $525.

Third time out... I found myself fishing this rod more than any other rod. It is so light that it is causing me to think the other rods are heavy. My arms and hands are getting tired fishing with my other rods. The lightness has also unlocked a new high of sensitivity that I have not felt before. By the end of this trip, I realize that this rod is the real deal. I still don't think it I worth the $525 but it is the nicest rod I own. I am spoiled at this point and only throw the other rods when I have to. It is unbelievable how light these rods are. I am impressed.

Still not worth $525... I would put it at a $300 price range but nothing more.

For reference, my other rods consist of Johnny Morris Signature series rods and Fenwick Elites. All were in the $150 range.

2. Member
    Your wallet is in trouble now! All your other rods will be replaced with high end ones, I predict! I went down the same path a few years ago, but started with GLX, since NRX had not been in existence at that time. Most of my fishing is bottom contact baits, so sensitivity is paramount, and these rods deliver! I agree on the price, though. I'd probably peg them more in the $400 range as to worth, at least compared to what else is out there. St. Croix's Legend Elite and Extremes, for example, are also light and sensitive, and cost about $100 less. Still, I'm not selling any of my 10 or so NRX's anytime soon.
    John

Hammer rods. Just as light, just as good build quality, almost as sensitive, great warranty, 100% American made. $155-$175, Call The Tackle Trap.

They have saved me a ton over buying all NRX's (which I have 3 of), but I also have 8 Hammers that I like just as much
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Good to know. Thanks!