Help Don or Savage

I have a 1998 mariner 300 supermag with a bobs coned lower unit sn dc708016 how is the best way to clean debri from lower unit and poppet valves will the service manual show you how or is there a page on here that shows it having overheating problems when engine gets much above idle no issues when idling in gear in no wake zones just when you get boat up on plane the overheat buzzer goes off any help would be appreciated thanks

2. Member
    Sorry I never had a lower unit coned by Bobs.....

3. Member
    Can you pull poppet valves and thermostats and put water to the lower unit on a hose to flush engine out

4. Member
    No the water pump must be turning.

5. Member
    Is there any way to flush the engine

6. Member
    Yes by attaching a hose to the water pump discharge tube.

7. Member
    Can I do it with poppet valves and thermostats out so it flushes everything out thanks

8. Member
    As long as you don't start the motor and can keep water off of all the electrical components.

9. Member
    Thank you very much appreciate your time

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please update your serial number (digit, Letter, Six Digits). Example: 0G123456, 0C123456.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Instead of a dc would it be oc the boat is new to me it's in storage away from home while I redo the trailer will be a few weeks before I get it home the tag on the engine is faded really bad hard to read can't see as good as I used to is the number stamped in the block that may be easier to see

12. Member
    Oc 708016 if this is not it will have to look when I bring boat home sorry

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nope- that's a MerCruiser engine serial number. Even tried 0"G"708016 (no go).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Is there somewhere on the block or somewhere else I can find serial number can't read the tag faded to bad

15. Member
    Need to find out the correct number the number I gave my insurance company will be wrong also

Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    Need to find out the correct number the number I gave my insurance company will be wrong also
    Mine was hard to find too - I eventually found it stamped on a freeze plug

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the PORT side of the engine block, at the mating flange for the front and rear "halves".

See if the serial number is stamped into the case (often was on race product).

Otherwise, check for decal on swivel bracket, transom brackets, or an aluminum welch plug in the block.

18. Member
    Is this a good number og708046 I hope it is this is a pain when your not sure on number