new to me 2004 cougar

Greetings folks... I picked a up a "new to me" 04 cougar with 225 opti and 25 tempest plus. Looking for what the correct ptp measurement should be. Looks like it is currently at 1" or less which seems way to high.
    So far pretty excited about the rig. Just need to do a little clean up on her and get a little seat time. Looking forward to being a part of the basscat family.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

2. Member
    try looking through here, this is how I got an idea where to start mine at

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/basscat2.htm

Andy,

Thanks for the help. I did level out the boat and put the tape measure on it and it actually looks like I am right 3" below the pad. Based on what I see, that is in the ballpark. When I was running it this weekend I was only getting low 60's with a light load and low fuel. It also seemed to have hard time getting much lift out of her. I need a little more seat time. I'll keep working to dial her in. Thanks again.

4. Member
    You might also have the prop checked. If it is really 13 years old, the blades "splay" out over time, dropping the pitch. The tempest is a good prop, if the pitch is true on all blades. When you report speed, also include RPM, then we can get an idea of whether the motor is possibly weak, or the prop is slipping excessively.

Lower 60's certainly sounds off for a 225. If you are trimming it correctly, it should do better. If you over or under trim, low 60's is easy to hit.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Old timer thanks for the advice will report back when I get back out on the water. Water pressure at idle is about .7 psi on the smart craft and about 13 psi at 5500 rpm so, I quit running her thinking that seemed a little low........long story but a snake crawled in the motor and i could not get it out. I am concerned that maybe that could cause some of my water pressure issues...ugh!!! I gave him a day to get out and don't know that it did. After a day of waiting, i put it in the water and let it sit a little bit..no snake...then started it and let idle for a few minutes....still no snake......then took it for about a 5 min ride at plus 4500 rpms. I never saw the snake again but then noticed the low water pressure at idle. Waiting to get it in the shop now to have the water pump checked out.

thanks

Rob

6. Member
    Not saying this is your problem but a basscat does not like a lot of trim on the one I just sold once you got going just bump trim up a little at a time when you bump it up and lose speed bump back down and that is usually about where it runs the best

Ok guys. I have had a chance to get a little more time seat time behind this rig. Love this boat so far. Comes out of the hole just great but my top end has been a little low compared to others reports on here. Once on plane it seems to run even speed with the RPms. For example, if I am running 5000 rpms then my speed is about 48 mph if I am running 3500 rpms then speed is about 34. I did push her up to 5500 rpm and kept slightly adjusting the trim up and I finally got her up on pad and then my speed was about 60mph. My trim guage on the smart craft always reads trim fault, so I dont know where I am on the trim except by feel. It seemed like I had to trim it up a long ways before hitting pad. The 25 tempest that is on it is only about 4 years old and appears to be in perfect shape. No nicks or anything. How far can I push this 225 opti? At what rpms do I hit the rev limiter on this motor? PTP is right at 3 inches. I am thinking i might need to raise it a hair.

Also at what speed minimum speed can I stay on pad? I am no speed demon and do not need to run 75 mph but it would be nice to run 70 when making a long run. Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

I have raised the jack plate a 1/2 inch and have purchased a 26p trophy. I will report back once I have had a chance to get her back out. Based on what I have been reading on the owners page....this looks like a move in the right direction.

Cool. Sounds like a nice rig. You still in the Dunes?
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Roy I am still in the dunes. Assuming you are still in the hills. I gave up looking for used champ and thought I see what this basscat was all about. So far I like the boat just trying to dial her in. It drives completely different than my old 186. I have hit a little over 64 gps with the trophy 26 on it at about 5550 rpms at 2.5 below pad. That was about the best I could get out of that prop. I just put 25 fury 3 blade on it and dropped the jp to a 3.25 below pad. I will play with that a little and see what I get. Good to hear from you. How's the champ running?

Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    Roy I am still in the dunes. Assuming you are still in the hills. I gave up looking for used champ and thought I see what this basscat was all about. So far I like the boat just trying to dial her in. It drives completely different than my old 186. I have hit a little over 64 gps with the trophy 26 on it at about 5550 rpms at 2.5 below pad. That was about the best I could get out of that prop. I just put 25 fury 3 blade on it and dropped the jp to a 3.25 below pad. I will play with that a little and see what I get. Good to hear from you. How's the champ running?
    I'm behind on my fishing this year due to overtime at work, but the 187 is still looking and running great! 2.5 below pad does sound high, but I don't know much about BCBs.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

Just ran the 25 fury at 3.25 below pad... hole shot was slow, bogged down the rpms? But once rpms came up it did get better lift and was able to hit 69.5 on gps and could cruise at 64 gps at around 5100. Prop has two holes plugged and one open. I am thinking I might need to take one plug out and raise the motor 1/4.

Sorry for the late response. You can read through the BCB owners gallery and see the listings there as well.

Open all the PVS plugs, the Fury runs better with them all open. I had the same setup on an '02 Jag and ran a Croxton worked 24 Fury.

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. I pulled one more and it helped a little on the hole shot. I have now pulled the third. On another note I did raise the jp about 1/4" and lost about 1/2 mph on top end and it seemed to get a little squirrely. I will drop it back down. I think I am finally getting close. Thanks everyone for the help. Gonna run 80 miles today. Should be a great day!!

16. BBC SPONSOR
    I'm glad you like your prop.

17. Banned
    I have a 2004 Cougar with a 2004 Optimax 225, dual 8' blades, and am running a 26p fury 4. When have regular load, myself (220lb) and 1/2 full tanks, I am getting 70mph at 5540RPM. I have a 6" manual slidemaster on it. I used to run a 26p Tempest Plus and was getting 5850 at 74. I have not messed at all with the jackplate height since I got the boat. But if you are on the fence about getting a fury 4 blade, my recommendation is that you pull the trigger on one. The hole shot, the performance, the handling, outweighs any bit of top end that MAY be lost. Considering the fact that I have not raised up the jackplate after putting the fury 4 on, if I did, I may be able to get higher RPM's and get back to the 74 that I had.

Hopefully this helps you. I love my boat, I am sure you do/will also.

Buck, love the prop....thanks for doing the trade.

Basscatcougar, Thanks for your input. I would be interested to get an accurate reading on your ptp measurement. I still have a 26 trophy that I was looking to trade for another 4 blade. Sounds like the 26 fury4 may be the ticket.

Thanks again

Rob