Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    Am I missing something when you guys are talking about ledges on Barren? I have over every part of the lake and it seems to me that every drop or ledge like structure is related to the bank. Either from a channel swing point or a long point that drops off at the end. There are a few humps in the lake, but even alot of those are the end of a point. Is that was everyone is referring to on Barren or am I way off track?
    That is what they are talking about when they say ledges. They aren't ledges in the sense of KY Lake. Ledges at Barren seems to be more a "catch-all" term for offshore fishing. There are a couple true ledges off of river channels that aren't connected to the bank and are worth a look but the majority are connected in some form.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Got third in the Shardein tourny and caught them a little better than the week before. Congrats to mkmsports for the win.
    Thanks! All our fish were 12-25ft deep. Didn't really get on them untill 10:30 once the sun came out.

3. Member
    Thats crazy man...it sure looks like the thermocline is setting up around 12-14 ft. I guess it shows what I know

Quote Originally Posted by mkmsports41 View Post
    Thanks! All our fish were 12-25ft deep. Didn't really get on them untill 10:30 once the sun came out.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    Thats crazy man...it sure looks like the thermocline is setting up around 12-14 ft. I guess it shows what I know
    I'd lean more towards 12. As far as 25? I guess 100% of fisheries biologists could be wrong. I will agree that fish are suspended though

We had to do a lot of fish maintenance because they were so deep. There swim bladders didn't like it. The weighted clips that go on thier fins are the thing. We caught some fish in brush piles and rock piles that were set at the waters edge at winter pool.
    Last edited by mkmsports41; 07-20-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: grammer

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmsports41 View Post
    We had to do a lot of fish maintenance because they were so deep. There swim bladders didn't like it. The weighted clips that go on thier fins are the thing. We caught some fish in brush piles and rock piles that we set at the waters edge at winter pool.
    Looks like the work paid off. I talk to a lot of people that are saying they catching them at 20+. But then I study about thermocline and hear that fish can't survive below it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Looks like the work paid off. I talk to a lot of people that are saying they catching them at 20+. But then I study about thermocline and hear that fish can't survive below it.
    I'm with ya.....and totally confused now. I guess that's why I can't buy a fish right now

I may be wrong, but wouldnt the thermocline be different in areas of the lake? I found water temps between 85 and 89 degrees. Guys that find the right brush piles wins... I think alot of guys think too much. Go find structure and dip a bait in it. Nothing there, go to the next!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I may be wrong, but wouldnt the thermocline be different in areas of the lake? I found water temps between 85 and 89 degrees. Guys that find the right brush piles wins... I think alot of guys think too much. Go find structure and dip a bait in it. Nothing there, go to the next!
    Im obviously no expert, but I don't think you can think too much about it. If the thermocline is a true depth at the range you are fishing you can totally eliminate depths deeper than that over the area your fishing. Eliminates a lot of water and throws odds of finding fish better. My understanding is while temperature is more suitable at differing depths its more of a dissolved oxygen value the fish need to survive. That value really drops off at a certain level so below that is no sustainable to much life. I'm not sure about the different areas of he lake but I don't think so. A current breaks up the thermocline acting like a aerator of sorts (as I've been explained) so up the rivers may be different. Obviously temp will vary in areas with a lot of run off and shade. I figure that's why the pros are better than everyone else is they understand this stuff and use their equipment to find em.

I love fishing docks and crankbaits. I just throw it and go with my it. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    They use to like the 18ft depth quite a bit. I've never caught one 28ft though.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    They use to like the 18ft depth quite a bit. I've never caught one 28ft though.
    I'm sure they would love to be 28' right now. With the weather past two weeks I can't imagine the thermocouples being deeper than 10' today.

13. Banned
    Tonight should be interesting. I haven't fished it for years due to to sheer lack of common sense after dark. I may go watch the payout though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12