Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR
    I may have to pull the 1.75 Sporty off the Bullet! But Steve has us all out gunned...unless you wanna do a top end run
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I may have to pull the 1.75 Sporty off the Bullet! But Steve has us all out gunned...unless you wanna do a top end run
    He should have us there as well! But that cowling lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Break 100 and I'm working on something for that as well. I thought about top gun, but 85 or 90 seemed like a more inclusive thing to do that could benefit us all.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    How interesting would it be if SCJ got trips first run and Tim is still stuck @99.xxxxx?

5. Member
    I want to see the data for sure from all the boats.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    How interesting would it be if SCJ got trips first run and Tim is still stuck @99.xxxxx?
    I was getting kind of frustrated at the rally the first day there as I couldn't get the nose to fly; since I never trim all the way down I didn't realize my trim gauge sender had gotten out of adjustment. When I finally figured that out, she took off and with my wife on board, we hit 90.7 in the little stretch in from of Terrace View in some pretty rough water for speed runs.
    The SHO may have trips in it but I do not know if I do. What I do know is if we're propping down to 85, you guys are in trouble if I find a 23" prop.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    He should have us there as well! But that cowling lol

No doubt! But I ain't skeered of the 2 levers on the steering column

On the xb21, I don't think the holeshot of a 2 stroke 3.0 - 3.2L will ever compare to the holeshot of a 4.2L 4 stroke. However, it would be fun trying...especially with 7k limiter and a 23.....and a box of spare parts
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

8. Member
    Tim, when you're ready to break into triples, I'll let you borrow the SHO...........

9. Member
    Wow, that's brutal. Who on here has hit trips in a 21'er besides Geoff. Tim is right there but that last mph is huge. There's a lot of hype for the SHO that hasn't hit trips yet. I would love to see it run in the low trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    Wow, that's brutal. Who on here has hit trips in a 21'er besides Geoff. Tim is right there but that last mph is huge. There's a lot of hype for the SHO that hasn't hit trips yet. I would love to see it run in the low trips.
    I seen Hubert's boat get really close first day of testing and should hit trips soon (fall). He has a Tim Powell copy minus the dbr. (It clipped 98.6 in Texas heat a few weeks ago.)
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I seen Hubert's boat get really close first day of testing and should hit trips soon (fall). He has a Tim Powell copy minus the dbr. (It clipped 98.6 in Texas heat a few weeks ago.)
    Hubert's boat is gonna roll!

I don't seem to have the time anymore to fish/play like I have in the past. I need to get myself back on 4 - 10's so I can be off on Fridays.

Steve's flashed Sho should be all over 100 with ease. I like the thought of a 4 stroke, it does get old dumping 1-2 gallons of oil I'm the boat while I make these long runs. I'm just not convinced of the long term reliability yet, especially with the disposable block.

I didn't get to make any runs this spring, the wind was brutal from February to June and still blows pretty good at times. I also made a lot of changes over the winter and it drastically changed what my boat liked and how it reacts, ive spent a lot of time getting a good feel for what it likes. Ive been 98-99 so many times ive lost count solo with a fishin load....the crazy thing is it'll run 99 like its nothing, you don't have to work for it at all. And ive ran 95-96 several times now with 2 guys, livewell full, fuel full, and all our crap....most recent time was last Sunday in 95 degree air she still ran over 95.

100+ is there, I just need good water and conditions at this point.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 07-14-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

12. Member
    What I found was the game changed above 98 to another level that for me takes another complete skill set. I spent a ton of time between low to mid 90's then when it cooled off and the lake was big enough for a longer run I bumped it up and wow, what a difference for me. This is just my perception but I think with a few guys working on the 21 footer setup and pushing the envelope they will hit the mark or better. Steve, I would love to see how fast your rig is with that 4 stroke. Tim, there's no question you will hit it with the testing and long runs you make.

I agree with you Dean and Tim. These boats (or at least mine) seems to hit a wall around 98/99. Jay knows I ran my boat for weeks every nice day and couldn't hit the number. I would go out almost every morning before work trying. Every Monday or Sunday I drove 4hrs to run with Jay so we could tweak the setup (Really it was Allison 101 and Jay was the teacher). He would get constant texts the rest of the week stating 98, 98, 99, 99, too windy 97. Because of the distance needed we need a lot of things to line up for safe enough water to make a pass. I was out a lot of days trying to run in protected bays that allowed me to hit 98, but just a little farther had me in sketchy water and backing down.

Through the entire process I learned a lot about my boat and how I like it setup. I honesty grew to really like the boat. I had been on the fence for a year on if I was going to sell it or not. Now I don't even think of it. Not because it ran 100, but because I had so many people help, made some great friends along the way, and it was cool experience working on it to make it to happen. I'm really happy with the boat now and enjoy learning more.

Really that is what this is all about. Posting up some numbers so others can learn as well. I think if we get enough people to do this we will have a great data base for all to match up with a similar setup, learn more about our boats, and find the right wheel. With the data being logged we can eliminate the "feel" and really see how the props perform from 5-85 with different motors and boats.

Jay, Nathan, and I have been texting non stop the last few days as Jay and I have been comparing numbers with 30p promax props we tested on our boats 120 miles away from each other. It has been very interesting. I haven't posted the numbers because it is wicked hot here and the times aren't the best and I want to get all the kinks worked out of the system before I start getting a lot of runs. Nathan is all setup to run some time later today. We will see how a Hydro does vs. a Promax in the heat.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

My next run I hope to not be full of fuel and 95 degrees lol. Nathan has put his 27 hydro on and should have beat my first test time! lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

15. Member
    Geoff just was emailed data. I think it will take a 28/29 for a best 85 mph run. 6k is 80 and the pull is already dropping off to get to 85. My 30 may make it to 85 quicker need more testing.

All things considered I may need a trim guage to be more competitive. I trimmed pretty aggressively to get the data.more aggressively than normal that's for sure

16. Member
    When I had my XS 250 Mercury 1.75 on the 2+2, I could break 90 with a 29 ProMax prop. I think a 28 ProMax will break 85.
    I doubt Nathan will see 85 with his 27 Hydro. His prop pulls well to lower 90's but I believe he'll come up short on rpm's

17. Member
    It got there but not until I was 1/2" above. It is likely too small for 85 though. Limiter is beepeing depending on motor height above or below 85

Nathan has runs on the books!

Again, I'm not sharing info at this time. I will start a new post with official recorded times. Right now we are testing everything out. I will say he did run over 85. Nice running Nathan.

One note. Today for the first time we encountered poor signal issues. We haven't figured out why yet. The app uses gps satellites and not cellular. I have used it many times to time some of the commercial flights I have been on out of curiosity. So I know it works with cellular off. I usually run with the phone in my glove box like Nathan did today. My glove box can stay open while running as the Prosport has great wind protecting. It may have been a closed door thing. I have also run with it under my seat and had no issues. I guess I would suggest running with the phone on your floor or seat.

We did get start and stop times from some of his runs, so we had enough to use to check 3 passes. Only one of his runs had all the data to make a graph of speed vs. time.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

19. Moderator
    Pretty sure there are two of us that have broken 100 with the XB-21 ProSports.
    I did it in 2007 or so with a 300x, 1.62 gears and a 27 Trophy prop @ 6800 RPM's, by myself with a light load, 24-V T/M, 3-27 grp batteries etc... No set up time, first pass with the boat after installing the 2001 year model engine I had sitting on a stand. Never got to play with it again, sold the boat to one person the following week, and the engine to someone else.
    Pretty sure whoever else it was ran 104 with pretty much the same setup.
    The 300x engine was a beast, true 330 hp out of the box.

I had heard a Prosport with 300X went 106. His friend pops up on Facebook every once in a while with photos of the boat. I believe the boat has a Verado on it now. Agreed, the 300X was a beast. Wish I still had mine some days. Just not the days I'm at the gas pump or buying oil for it. It was dependable. I sold it with over 600 hrs on it. Never had one issue with it.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast