Hole shot problems! Please help!

I recently purchased my first Bass Cat earlier this week. Love everything about the boat except I'm having some hole shot problems. The boat is an 03 Cougar FTD and it is powered by a 03 225 Opti paired with a 24.5p Bravo 1 prop. The prop has 8 holes, four of them have no plugs and four have a plug with a large hole. The boat has two 10 foot talons also. The first time I took the boat out it was just me and my brother with a tank and a half of gas and the hole shot was ok. The next time I went out with my dad and my brother with 2 full tanks of gas and the hole shot was very bad. both times I went out the motor lags power during the hole shot. I trim the motor down all the way and give it all the throttle, the bow raises up very high and boat seems to be stuck at low rpms for a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden the power will kick in and the boat will slowly plane out. I understand that with two tallons, 2 full tanks of gas, and 3 people the whole shot is gonna be a little slow. I'm thinking about adding a fin to help with hole shot. But, I'm worried about the lag in power when I open the throttle up on the hole shot, it shoots the bow way up in the air and I can't see anything for a couple of seconds, and then when the power finally kicks in the hole shot is slow because the bow is so high in the air. Once on plane the motor runs like a champ and I hit 67 with me and my brother in the boat until it started to chine walk and I backed off. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I'm not a boat mechanic by any means and just looking for some expert opinions to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

A couple of details. The Talons are not suggested by BCB due to their weight and how it rotates on hole shot. Lay the Talons on the back deck and we think you will learn a lot.

Next the Bravo is not our best performer and someone probably did this to help hole shot after the Talons. Next we would try a 24 Fury 4 blade. Then we would also try a normal 24 Fury 3 blade.

3. Member
    Any idea what could be causing the lag in the power with the motor? It takes about 2 seconds after WOT for the power and RPMs to actually kick in and then the boat planes out.

4. Member
    A few things:
    1) trim the motor ALL THE WAY down
    2) when taking off from dead stop, record the engine rpm's during takeoff. Should be 3400-3700 rpm's instantly till up on plane...and prop should 'bite' whole time. If not, add plugs. If rpm's are below that....remove plugs.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

It's is most likely the propeller and load holding it back from the Talons. Any engine needs RPM for torque and yours is not reachng RPM because of the load. It's like a pulling truck hooking to a sled it can't pull, it won't spin, it won't rev up, and it won't go due to the load. Our thoughts are the propeller and load are restricting RPM.

Laying to Talons down on the deck for one hole shot will tell you everything, though we do think the Bravo is too much wheel also.

Usually there is nothing wrong and we've seen this before.

6. Member
    Okay thanks for the help, so removing the rest of the plugs should help the propeller spin up quicker on the hole shot and improve it? Also, would adding a fin improve my hole shot also?

7. Member
    Your issue is exactly what BCB stated.
    24 Fury 4 with all holes open will get you out the hole
    While allowing the RPM's to get in the powerband.
    The Talons will also make the holeshot worse.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Okay thanks a bunch, I think I might try removing all the plugs on my bravo 1 first and if that doesn't help then I might try a 24 Fury 4. Also thinking about adding a fin as well, has one on my old boat and the boat planed out in no time and had a very stable ride

9. Member
    That bravo is likely a 15 1/4" diameter prop. BIG wheel. Works well with stern drives powered by a v8 with loads of torque. Not so great for a 2 stroke that needs to spin up into its power band before it produces any torque. You can certainly go down on pitch a lot and it will jump out of the hole, but it will then be a dog on top-end.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

10. Member
    Don't add a fin to the motor . That's nothing but a band-Aid . You need to find the correct prop for your boat and for what your trying to achieve. There are some great props out there in today's market . Use basscats advice . They no there boats .

11. Member
    Removing the remaining plugs will help for sure. May not give you what you want.
    Adding a fin will help.
    I had one on both my Jag and Eyra. My wife is 5 foot. She would take the kids tubing and it kept the bow down where she could see.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    Thanks man that's what I wanted to hear!

13. Member
    I have an old Jag with a 250 on it, 2 12' Talons etc. I run a 26P Bravo 1XS with 6 holes open and 2 plugged solid. Great hole shot and a really nice running prop. Play with the vents on your prop and also motor height. Adjust the holes closest to the prop nut and leave the others open. If your prop is in good shape it should work well for you. It's possible someone has worked the prop and it is not really a 24.5. Good luck
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

Don't feel bad when I have full fuel and two partners my 250 with dual blades barely gets out of the whole 15 seconds maybe? If you want speed you have to give up acceleration

15. Member
    Just an update, took the boat out today and pulled two more plugs, with 3 people in the boat and 1 3/4 tanks of gas holeshot improved tremendously, almost no lag getting to the power band at all. Was turning about 4100 rpm getting on plane without cavitation, ran WOT at about 5500 and hit 70 in the boat for the first time on the Mississippi! Boat is tuned to how I want it now!

Good

17. RIP -April 30,2023
    a foil helps alot also. keep the mph that you are used to but gain holeshot

18. Member
    foil worth the cost- bravo prop is a beast and will hold if venting is too much even.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools