Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Charger splash well

I have been very happy with my recent Charger 496 purchase. There is one thing that has me concerned. When driving through some chop today, I looked back at my engine to see how much movement it had. Not much, but I did notice some some flex in the ridge of the splashwell. Right wear it meets the carpet. The was also a little flex where that ridge connects to the rear corner top cap. I notice if I stand on the very rear of the carpeted deck, the slash well ridge will flex some. Is this normal? It seems odd to me to have such a beefy transom with a week splash well. I would think this should not flex at al, but there is nothing there to give it support. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abianca99 View Post
    I have been very happy with my recent Charger 496 purchase. There is one thing that has me concerned. When driving through some chop today, I looked back at my engine to see how much movement it had. Not much, but I did notice some some flex in the ridge of the splashwell. Right wear it meets the carpet. The was also a little flex where that ridge connects to the rear corner top cap. I notice if I stand on the very rear of the carpeted deck, the slash well ridge will flex some. Is this normal? It seems odd to me to have such a beefy transom with a week splash well. I would think this should not flex at al, but there is nothing there to give it support. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
    The splash well in my 186 has very fine stress cracks in it.

3. Member
    After close inspection, I notice a couple very fine ones in mine as well

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The splash well is not part of the transom,have seen gel coat cracks in that are on a lot of boats not just Chargers .

5. Member
    Shouldn't be any flex there. Might want to call Charger.

6. Member
    Its not the cracks that concern me. It's the flex that I am seeing while running through chop, and when I stand at the very rear deck.

Sports1...I agree. I wouldn't think there should be any movement either. A call to Charger is probably in order.

If any one here has a 496 or 596, can you stand on the very rear of your deck where the carpet meets the splash well and see if you have any flex?

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Is it where it meets the lids?
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 07-10-2017 at 08:58 AM.

8. Member
    yes

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    make sure your top bolts on motor are tight ,I hate the brass nut on stainless bolts as they will loosen.

10. Member
    They are tight. I already checked them. Is there a torque spec that Charger recommends for the transom bolts? I don't see any movement in the 4" thick transom. That appears very solid. Its mainly the splash well, with most of the flex at the ridge, directly where the rear deck lids sit. Some of that flex transfers to the left and right of the splash well to the top cap. It's most noticeable if I step right at the very rear deck lids, right wear the rest on the edge of the splash well. I can actually feel it flex under my feet.

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That is a weak spot not needed for support.Its a big hole where the battery compartment is .My 596 has a little flex there also but mine is 17 years old.The motor bolts go through the top cap and the top cap is not part of the transom.The 210 the bolts go under the top cap and has zero pull on the top cap.The transom is connected to the boat by massive knee braces along with the glass in flotation boxes.It would be almost impossible for the transom to fall off unless something major hit it. On a Charger you could run the boat with out the topcap as the transom is the back bone of the boat.I know they have talked about doing away with the splash well on a couple models just to keep that area from gel coat cracking.
    You can talk to Jim Hughes on tues and pick his brain.

12. Member
    I guess the weight of the engine and the massive amounts of torque applied to the transom in chop are causing it to move some in the splash well area. I opened the rear deck lids and was looking around to try to find anything that might catch my attention. The bracing looks great and the bolts are tight. There are very minor gel coat cracks in the corners of the splash well where the ridge ties into the top cap. Under the rear deck lids, at the outside rear corners, there is a crack on each side. This is at the lip where the rear deck lid sits. It appears to be deeper than gel coat and into the fiberglass. Maybe a half inch long. It is identical on each side. It appears the flex from someone heavy standing back there could cause this, or the flex from rough water could be transferring to this thin area. I'll try to post some pics, this evening, if I can get them to post. Is Jim Hughes the owner of Charger?

13. Member
    Good idea to call Charger. Should not be flex in the splash well. Since Charger has a lifetime warranty they should take care of it if there are any structural or other issues.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    plant forman

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Good idea to call Charger. Should not be flex in the splash well. Since Charger has a lifetime warranty they should take care of it if there are any structural or other issues.
    Side note all boats flex

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Side note all boats flex
    Been in boats since the 70's and never seen a splash well visibly flex. And that is the area he is referring. He has a legitimate concern and has a right to speak with Charger.
    Last edited by Sports1; 07-10-2017 at 12:27 PM.

17. Member
    I will contact Charger and see what they say. I've heard they are easy to communicate with. I understand that hulls have some flex, but I have also never seen this much flex in a splash well. I can see over time I getting worse. On a positive note, everything else has been great with the boat.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes he has a lifetime warranty if the transom falls off ,so like I said call jim Hughes and Like I have said we have seen triton basscat charger champion ranger a lot of brands with stress cracks in the well and in the corner s on top of cap that means they are flexing some where.All of them had good transoms just the cap .Stress cracks ,blister etc are not covered under the warranty but they have fixed some under good faith ONlLY charger can make that call.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abianca99 View Post
    I will contact Charger and see what they say. I've heard they are easy to communicate with. I understand that hulls have some flex, but I have also never seen this much flex in a splash well. I can see over time I getting worse. On a positive note, everything else has been great with the boat.
    I think you are doing the right thing. When the flex gets visible like that you need to check with Charger. Other than that glad you are having a good time with your new to you boat.

20. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I was going to call them today but you said contact Jim on Tuesday so I'll call tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast