1997 Mercury 150 EFI Stator or switchbox?

Been having issues with my engine for a few weeks. Initially thought is was a fuel issue. 1st trip it ran all day until time to leave and died while idling out to the boat lane. Took about 30 minutes to finally get started then acted like nothing was wrong until I got home and it wouldn't start again. Went out every day doing a little at a time and it would run for a bit and die or struggle to start. Changed plugs and filters then by the end of the week it seem to run better so I took it out again. Same thing, ran all day until time to leave. Then once I finally got it started it I had to hold the pedal to the floor and keep feathering it to keep it running. That lead me to believe it was fuel problem.
    Went through everything again. I'd already checked for spark before and no issue there. I did notice a little melted wax from the stator. I had the same issue when i replaced the trigger. Ohmed the stator and it seemed fine. Same with rectifier. But it was always intermittent. I could go out one day and it would crank, idle a few seconds and die. Then next day idle all day long. Checked the killswitch, fuel lines, bulbs, fuel itself. All good. Today I messed with it again and it seemed worse than ever. Wouldnt idle at all. Just turn over and run long enough to pump water and die then nothing. Engine would just spin. Checked for spark again. Nothing on CYL 2 and 4. Skipped 6 and went to the other side and had fire. Went back to CYL 2 and had fire and engine wanted to turn over. Then no spark again. Checked all CYL on that bank and no fire. Other bank was fine.

Its been a challenge when it does one thing one time then something else the next. Pretty much narrowed it down to a faulty switch box or bad coil on the stator. I'm thinking its a switchbox. Last time I had ignition problems it caused the stator to overheat. I'm guessing last time out by holding the pedal down it was needing more fuel to spin the flywheel fast enough to get enough spark to keep running. Anyone agree or have another idea?

2. Member
    foot pedal will not cause it to get more fuel or spin faster,does sound like you have box out, I would replace both boxes
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    foot pedal will not cause it to get more fuel or spin faster,does sound like you have box out, I would replace both boxes
    So by pressing the gas pedal it "will not cause it to get more fuel"? In turn making the engine "spin faster"? As in more rpms?

4. Member
    without mtr running will not effect starter speed or pump more fuel
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    The motor was running

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    this-id change the stator too,one seems to effect the other in short order.