Echomap CHIRP Screenshots info

In this first shot you can clearly see the walleye attacking the bottom bouncer,,, I think,,,Cus I caught it... Is that shadow on the right from the fish rising?
    I know mr GPS speed is not optimal for sidevu but it still does a good job IMO.

I made numerous passes in this area and the fish were biting but I can't seem to see any on the screen..???

I turned up the gain in the downvu so I wouldn't miss anything, so the image is a bit crappy, but the fish were showing up very well. Is there a way to minimise the grainy water column??
    I love the way the fish shows up in the downvu, compared to my older unit with the GT40, the GT52 does a great job on soft targets with downvu... Locating fish with Sidevu is still a mystery.

Thoughts or comments are appreciated.
    Cheers
    Fish on!!
    C//
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    That shadow looks like a tree limb laying on the bottom

and maybe noise suppression would cut out the grainy?

oh, and if you're looking for fish in the water column maybe reduce the range?

3. Member
    With the boat moving, even slowly, the bait is going to swing behind the boat, probably out of the cone.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    That shadow looks like a tree limb laying on the bottom

and maybe noise suppression would cut out the grainy?

oh, and if you're looking for fish in the water column maybe reduce the range?
    I agree. Excellent advice. Over all, pretty good images.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

5. Member
    What unit are you running? Great pics.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    With the boat moving, even slowly, the bait is going to swing behind the boat, probably out of the cone.
    Yeah, I agree. That line on the right side could be the bouncer if the pole was forward on the boat, but it should have moved when the walleye took the bait. Instead it just stays steady. That makes me doubt thats what we are seeing. On the other hand, what else could it be?

Did you have your bouncer on the right side? Is that the one that caught the fish? Were you also running a down rigger or something else down 10 ft or so?

7. Banned
    looks like a skeg drag, but I doubt that's it at that depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy O. View Post
    What unit are you running? Great pics.
    Thanks,

It's an Echomap CHIRP 95SV

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    Yeah, I agree. That line on the right side could be the bouncer if the pole was forward on the boat, but it should have moved when the walleye took the bait. Instead it just stays steady. That makes me doubt thats what we are seeing. On the other hand, what else could it be?

Did you have your bouncer on the right side? Is that the one that caught the fish? Were you also running a down rigger or something else down 10 ft or so?
    Yes the bouncer is on the right side in the center of the boat, 1.5oz bouncer in 15' of water,, the line was almost vertical.

I fully agree with your statement that the line in the image should have moved when the fish took the bait,,, but what else could it be??

10. Member
    Chris, what is the 'stuff' in the dv image. Thermocline, algae, noise. I'm seeing some of that on dv, my gain is not set very high. TY

11. Member
    Was there anything else in the water on either side of the boat? Another bouncer or side planer board out 10 ft or? If not, I have no clue. Thats very odd behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Chris, what is the 'stuff' in the dv image. Thermocline, algae, noise. I'm seeing some of that on dv, my gain is not set very high. TY

I don't think it was the thermocline as it was located somewhere between 10' and 20' as you can see in these screenshots on the 2D side,,,, I think...
    Noise,,, maybe but I doubt it,, usually, noise will also show up on the 2D side.
    When I lowered the gain it cleared up well. Algae,, I doubt it would be throughout the water column.

Settings:
    Gain: auto high
    Interference: low
    TVG: medium
    Contrast: manual 80%
    Brightness: auto

Cheers
    C//
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    I see this kind of thing all the time. And its always on one arm of the lake and in the same vicinity. Never have known what it was. And I have to do the same thing to get rid of it. Change the settings.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Banned
    could be interference from under water cables

A bottom bouncer the diameter of a broomstick would not give a return that strong

Might try adjusting the contrast and see how that works.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Might try adjusting the contrast and see how that works.
    As I said in my first post, The gain was cranked up to make sure I wouldn't miss any fish returns. With the sun shining on the screen, it made the downvu hard to see.
    As far as the underwater cable theory, I doubt there's an underwater cable running in such a remote area, it sure does look like one though.

Thank you for the help.
    C//
    Last edited by Astrochris; 07-11-2017 at 06:28 PM.

18. Member
    62-68 degree F water temp.
    Maybe a bug hatch?