Thread: 179 TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

179 TRX

I recently sold my 2014 Xpress H17 Pro...which was the third aluminum boat I've had in my lifetime, loaded up, and by far the nicest, best riding.

Nothing wrong with aluminum, but they just don't fish like glass and get pushed around more in the wind, so I'm kinda wanting to go the glass route.

I'm limited to exactly 21' in garage depth and turning a boat to the side will keep my wife from being able to park in the garage...and the world will end. lol. There are plenty of boats I could fit in my garage if that wasn't such an issue. (Phoenix 618 my first choice, for example.)

I'm finding myself drawn to the Triton 179TRX for a handful of reasons:
    - It'll fit in my garage.
    - It's a good price point that won't break me.
    - It's still an 18.5' boat with a good looking front deck. (Old TR-186 platform?). It's just a nice looking smaller boat.
    - New 115 Merc ProXS 4-Stroke easy on gas and supposedly will see 50mph give or take.

I care much less about speed than I do fishability and affordability. Hitting 50 is fine by me. I fish the occasional small local tourney (20-25 boats maybe), but spend at least half of my time on a 250 acre club lake that is horsepower restricted. Everyone doesn't need a 21 footer with a payment that rivals your mortgage...so I ain't that guy.

I've always kind of thought that 150HP and up was fiberglass talk, 115HP and under best-suited for aluminum...but I know things are changing.

Anybody here got experience with the 179TRX that can give me a little feedback on what you like and dislike?

Thanks!
    BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

2. Member
    I was faced the same problem as you... originally wanted a 618 too but small garage space... length and width was an issue for me (trailer is 98" wide on the Triton just barely fits). I've had my 179trx since March and I love it... I do occasionally find myself wishing I had the 189trx, but since around here there are too many electric only lakes (damn NJ) the HP difference doesn't hurt me, but the bigger fuel capacity would've been nice for trips to bigger lakes. I went with an Etec and a four blade prop and I have to say, with two guys and just about all the tackle I own in the boat, it jumps right up and will get close to 50mph on the GPS. Love the no break-in/maintenance and got 10yr warranty... I think they're still offering 8yrs. Don't bother getting the rod holder tubes... without them you can fit 8' rods... with them it's a pain with 7'ers. My biggest advice is get an Ultrex... spot lock is great. And be sure to have you dealer order the right cover to fit with a minnkota if you go that route. I'm short so there's plenty of legroom for me... but my father's just over 6' and has sat in the driver seat comfortably as well. So far there hasn't been much to dislike... if I had to be picky the main tackle compartment up front could have a come with more slots for boxes... it holds three 3700s and one 3700deep... after that you have to add your own rack/slot setup. Also the compartment between the seats could've been better. I have a HDS12 at the console but decided not to flush mount it because the angle of the console isn't quite right... it faces the screen a bit too upward if mounted flush. Conversely I liked the position of the bow plate so I decided to flush the front unit and haven't had any issues viewing the screen.

If you have anything specific you need to know you can PM me and I can try my best to help you out.

I have a 186 and I don't think I'd be happy if it only had a 115. I'd be concerned that with two guys and full live wells it would take forever to get on plane. And while yes it can go 50 that is WFO. If you want to cruise at partial settings that will be closer to 40. I can cruise at 50 and may even burn less fuel that the 115 does at the same speed. Just my thoughts.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I have a 186 and I don't think I'd be happy if it only had a 115. I'd be concerned that with two guys and full live wells it would take forever to get on plane. And while yes it can go 50 that is WFO. If you want to cruise at partial settings that will be closer to 40. I can cruise at 50 and may even burn less fuel that the 115 does at the same speed. Just my thoughts.
    Good points for sure.

Doing a little reading and supposedly the 186 hull weight was around 1450...this 179 TRX hull is 1200...and I hear that this new 115 ProXS 4-stroke is lighter and perhaps makes a bit more horsepower and torque than the typical 115.

I dunno...
    Last edited by BQuiz; 07-09-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpola27 View Post
    I was faced the same problem as you... originally wanted a 618 too but small garage space... length and width was an issue for me (trailer is 98" wide on the Triton just barely fits). I've had my 179trx since March and I love it... I do occasionally find myself wishing I had the 189trx, but since around here there are too many electric only lakes (damn NJ) the HP difference doesn't hurt me, but the bigger fuel capacity would've been nice for trips to bigger lakes. I went with an Etec and a four blade prop and I have to say, with two guys and just about all the tackle I own in the boat, it jumps right up and will get close to 50mph on the GPS. Love the no break-in/maintenance and got 10yr warranty... I think they're still offering 8yrs. Don't bother getting the rod holder tubes... without them you can fit 8' rods... with them it's a pain with 7'ers. My biggest advice is get an Ultrex... spot lock is great. And be sure to have you dealer order the right cover to fit with a minnkota if you go that route. I'm short so there's plenty of legroom for me... but my father's just over 6' and has sat in the driver seat comfortably as well. So far there hasn't been much to dislike... if I had to be picky the main tackle compartment up front could have a come with more slots for boxes... it holds three 3700s and one 3700deep... after that you have to add your own rack/slot setup. Also the compartment between the seats could've been better. I have a HDS12 at the console but decided not to flush mount it because the angle of the console isn't quite right... it faces the screen a bit too upward if mounted flush. Conversely I liked the position of the bow plate so I decided to flush the front unit and haven't had any issues viewing the screen.

If you have anything specific you need to know you can PM me and I can try my best to help you out.
    Really appreciate the info! Thank you.

How is the boat on fuel when you're loaded like that and cruising? How big is the tank on these boats anyway?

Do you have a Talon or PowerPole? I'll never have another boat without at least one, so curious how that would affect the performance on a somewhat smaller and perhaps more weight-sensitive rig with the 115...

Oh, and how does she fare when the water gets a little rough?

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by BQuiz; 07-09-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

6. Member
    Fuel tank only holds 26 gal compared to the 41 of the 189trx... I can't really give you a good comparison on fuel consumption since the the I don't have the Merc. I will however be adding two poles in a few weeks so if your still undecided by then I could let you know the difference. It hasn't seen anything too too rough yet... but on gusty days I have so far stayed dry. I will say though, like you said, it is a relatively light boat for fiberglass so you can get blown around a little more than you'd think a glass boat would... but the stability is far greater than and aluminum.

7. Member
    i don't have a 179 but have the 189. The layouts and length are almost identical. that 179 is going to be a fairly tight fit even with the swing away tongue. I think that package length is around 20'6" on the trailer. The 189TRX should be a couple inches longer, but would probably fit if the motor was trimmed down. I have the 150 fourstroke and it sips gas, so i'm sure the 115 would be even better. The biggest difference between the 179 and 189 is the HP rating and fuel capacity. If you want the 150 but on a smaller boat that will fit in your garage, i'd check out the BassCat Margays. Couldn't tell you how it fishes or rides, but it's small with a higher HP rating.

I have the 189 TRX and barely have 21' of garage depth. It fits. I think the 179 would make a fine choice, but if you want me to measure the specifics in my garage for the 189, let me know.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    I have the 189 TRX and barely have 21' of garage depth. It fits. I think the 179 would make a fine choice, but if you want me to measure the specifics in my garage for the 189, let me know.
    Appreciate that! What motor do you have on the 189? Jackplate?
    BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

150 Mercury 4-stroke. No jackplate. With motor turned, I'm measuring 20'9".

I have the '15 179 with the 115 4s. I get 50 by myself. With 2 guys, full fuel tank, full livewell sand all the gear I get around 40 depending on the chop. If it's nice I get closer to 45, rough 40. Stock prop and no jackplate. It is not quick to get on plane with full load. But I am not big on speed. Yes in the tourney the guys fly by, I still catch and compete. I upgraded to an 82lb 24v thrust to compensate for getting pushed around with the lighter hull in the wind. But it fishes well and does not get pushed around as much as an aluminum and not as bad I thought it would . Rides dry in rough water. Sips the gas, even when I ride full. Great for fishing alone, easy to load, unload, move around by hand. I fish on LOZ wish can be a rough lake and have no issues. I had no issues in texas either. Do I wish I got something bigger for tourney, yes but it works fine. Selling point for me was I did not pay the extra cash for the extra 2 inches and 40HP, spent that on upgrading TM, batteries, 3 bank on board charger and upgrading electronics.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

12. Member
    I sat in a 179trx today...nice little boat...economical.

It's kind of like the Honda Civic of bass boats. lol

It felt roomier inside than I expected. Front deck isn't bad at all. I thought the fit and finish was great and looks so much better than the Nitro Z17, in my opinion.

Still contemplating one!
    BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

13. Member
    The 179TRX is not comparable to the Z17. The z17 is only 17'4 where the Triton is 18'6. Also the Z17 is only rated for 3 people.

Quote Originally Posted by BQuiz View Post
    I sat in a 179trx today...nice little boat...economical.

It's kind of like the Honda Civic of bass boats. lol

It felt roomier inside than I expected. Front deck isn't bad at all. I thought the fit and finish was great and looks so much better than the Nitro Z17, in my opinion.

Still contemplating one!

14. Member
    I have a 2016 179TRX with a 115 merc 4-stroke. I really like mine! It runs 49 mph with my son and I. The hull takes rough water very well, it also trims up and handles good. With only me in the boat at idle speed it leans to the starboard (noticeably) till you get on plane, if you add only one power pole I would put it on the port side to offset this. I've had a couple of back surgeries and don't want to strain myself loading and unloading, I can push this boat around without a problem. The biggest flush mount finder that would fit the console and trolling deck was a helix 7, I ordered a 10 but it wouldn't fit. If you won't be happy unless your doing 65+ mph I wouldn't buy the 179. However; it is a very good boat if you can be happy with lighter and a little slower.

15. Member
    Will an Lowrance 9 elite fit in the console? I just bought the TRX 179 picking it up next week, it currently has a 7 inch Lowrance I was wondering if anyone has tried to stick a 9 inch in the console?

Quote Originally Posted by eds triton View Post
    Will an Lowrance 9 elite fit in the console? I just bought the TRX 179 picking it up next week, it currently has a 7 inch Lowrance I was wondering if anyone has tried to stick a 9 inch in the console?
    inst ad of resurrecting a dead, unrelated thread you should have just started a new one.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Member
    So we can mention speed, fuel consumption size length and with, compare it to a z7,but when I ask if a Lowrance Elite 9 will fit in the console someone insults me I am calling BS. I asked a legitimate question and as I read into the 1st thread it did mention Triton TRX 179 so I assumed I could ask a question Related to the TRX 179. I guess some people just like to insult people as well as here themselves talk you my friend are the reason I don’t even waste my time with this site.

18. Member
    I sell a lot of 179's, this boat competes with a lot of the 18 foot aluminum boats in the industry, and were designed for that purpose. The wind will blow the boat around as much as the aluminum. The 179 with a 115 will run around 50mph, and turns a 24 pitch prop. Hole shot is good with the new 115 Proxs 4 stroke.
    Last edited by jjtriton; 03-27-2019 at 02:41 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eds triton View Post
    I have a 2017 and have Lowrance Carbon 9's in the dash and up front. I will tell you that the steering wheel will be right in the middle of the graph. You might consider mounting it on a mount on the face - https://precisionsonar.com/product-p...racket-triton/

I haven't done it yet - when I upgrade the dash to duals I will..
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

20. Member
    Thanks so much for posting this site���� I will definitely order one for the console thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast