Old transducer removal

I've got a couple old transducers from 15-20 years ago in my bilge area. What's the best way to remove?

Thanks,

-G
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

2. Member
    Not sure the right way, but I just used pliers and grabbed the transducer and wiggled it until I loosened it. You could also gently chisel the epoxy surrounding it until it cracks. I would put a screw driver right next to the body of the transfucer and gently tap with a hammer. No expert. Just my experience.
    1993 Stratos 280 SF
    1993 Johnson 150 Sliver Star

Reel Peachy - 1993 Stratos Transom Rebuild Project

3. Member
    I dont think I would try to separate the epoxy from the glass by prying unless its just not stuck very well. You could easily end up pulling up glass. My uneducated guess is to see if you can cut or bash the transducer away from the epoxy then grind the epoxy flat or smooth.

Never done it just a guess

4. Member
    Sounds like the consensus plan from what I searched. I might be able to leave them and drop in my new transducer, but the bilge area is small (boat is 18') and I don't want debris building up any more than it already does. Also don't want to damage the boat itself.
    Geoff Soard

I epoxied the transducer in the bilge of my previous boat, and last year removed it to install in new boat. I used a heat gun to warm the epoxy hot enough to make it pliable, but not hot enough to melt the transducer. Once it was pliable, I used a very large screwdriver to slowly pry the transducer out. No damage to hull or transducer, took about 1/2 an hour, and transducer worked great when installed in new boat.

6. Member
    Great idea. Not sure how well the old epoxy would react but then again I'm tossing these old transducers so as long as I don't damage the boat, I'm good.
    Geoff Soard

No experience with this but I would try a multi tool with a scraper blade on it. Should be able to cut through epoxy pretty easily.

8. Member
    Removed many epoxied transducers. Easiest is hit the transducer on the side with a hammer. Might need to place a block of wood against the transducer and wack the wood block. Also have used an air chisel.

9. Member
    You also get a 2x4 and a 2pound hammer and keep around around it until it pop's loose .Then clean the resin expoy up with sand paper are a small grinder ,not rocket science .

10. Member
    Thanks all....appreciate the ideas.
    Geoff Soard

11. Member
    I was able to pop the epoxy out of my bilge with a hammer and a flat edge. Just kept tapping it until it popped up. It came off in 1 chunk. I epoxied my new one in the exact same place.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassnailer View Post
    I epoxied the transducer in the bilge of my previous boat, and last year removed it to install in new boat. I used a heat gun to warm the epoxy hot enough to make it pliable, but not hot enough to melt the transducer. Once it was pliable, I used a very large screwdriver to slowly pry the transducer out. No damage to hull or transducer, took about 1/2 an hour, and transducer worked great when installed in new boat.
    Same here but used a lifting twisting action with a large pair or channel locks.