Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    What prop are you actually running on that boat now. Trim tabs maybe but a prop that has been worked to stop the porpoise is what you needed and put the motor back down to cav plate flush with the bottom of the boat to keep from getting air on the blades. The factory has no idea how you will load or run the boat so they just set them all up the same and it's up to you and the dealer to get the correct set up.

2. Member
    This came from Lowe -

I have 2 props listed within the standardized prop chart. Our R&D works with Mercury to come up with this chart, that we then issue to all the dealers.

For the 150 L 4S engine on the ST198 I have the "Tempest" 19 4 blade Stainless steel prop. Also listed is the "Spitfire" 14x17 4 blade aluminum prop.

Quote Originally Posted by 4stroke View Post
    This came from Lowe -

I have 2 props listed within the standardized prop chart. Our R&D works with Mercury to come up with this chart, that we then issue to all the dealers.

For the 150 L 4S engine on the ST198 I have the "Tempest" 19 4 blade Stainless steel prop. Also listed is the "Spitfire" 14x17 4 blade aluminum prop.
    That make no sense at all. The Tempest isn't a 4 blade. And most 75 hp 4s turn the aluminum 17p spitfire. They need to try again.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    Update - The boat will be at the shop for about a week getting these installed (performance tabs). Apparently, some or all of the new Lowe are having these installed from the factory. So, I will also be going back to the recommended motor mount and 2nd hole. Once these things are installed, then I will look at another prop or JP (again). Here we go again. The only reason I keep posting here is to hopefully help someone else that may have the same issue.

Maybe he meant Trophy on the prop.

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Interesting. You should only need one on each side of the transom.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Yeah. Lowe said try with one set first, test boat, and then go from there.

7. Member
    I've never understood why Lowe sells boats that don't run properly. FYI, I had to get aggressive with my situation. CS is a little deaf until you raise the volume and remember that any mods are paid for by the factory. My dealer discovered the motor was mounted 1/4" right cant, which meant two more holes in the transom. They ended up replacing my boat.
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Let us know how it turns out I'm interested in that boat but still lookin
    2023 ranger 198p

9. Member
    I am dropping the boat off this Thursday. Sounds like they will have it at least till Tuesday. I will be testing it on the lake with the mechanic.

10. Member
    To all that are wondering - Lowe stepped up. My boat is smooth as can be now, like riding on glass. Currently the boat is in the stock mounting holes on the transom. We (2 people) where hitting 52.6 MPH @ 5800 RPMs. I am thinking once I start performance tuning with the JP (again), I should be able to gain 4 more MPH without a issue. Excited!

glad it's working out for you. I have the same problem with my PT18, but much worse. four wedges and no changes. now has eight wedges across the boat. porpoising has stopped but trimming up does nothing. Crestliner gave up and is letting me fish till the end of the season then building me a new boat. you would think that the boats would be tested before they hit the dealers floor. adding wedges, trim tabs, etc. is to me only a band aid. build it right the first time. I believe Ranger had the same problem so you know it's not just Lowe.

12. Member
    3dees - Funny you say that about building it right the first time. A Customer Service Rep from Lowe called me and that was the same thing I said. He only offered an apology. I took a look at that 198P (p=pad) and that is nice. True V Hull and all. Of course I will be hanging onto my boat for a while at least. Hopefully by then Lowe or Crestliner will have a padded v hull boat. I just took a look at your boat and it looks nice. Funny though because it says the same thing the Lowe says - "tournament bass boat."

I told the CSR that my Lowe is not tournament ready and should not be advertised as such until it can run correctly out of the door.

13. Member
    Thought this is worth mentioning - Went down stairs to raise the motor up and of course one of the tabs fell off. I knew freaking adhesive would not work. So, if you are getting these installed demand they are welded.

14. Member
    Wow. Bad luck

15. Member
    Thought this is worth mentioning - Went down stairs to raise the motor up and of course one of the tabs fell off. I knew freaking adhesive would not work. So, if you are getting these installed demand they are welded.
    Perzackly! Have your dealer engage a Tin Welder and send the bill to Lowe.

16. Member
    Yup. In the works now.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Perzackly! Have your dealer engage a Tin Welder and send the bill to Lowe.

17. Member
    I thought I'd add to the thread with my Stinger story line. Like everyone else, the boat porpoised like crazy. Bought the boat with a 23P prop on it which turned out to be an accident, the dealer just put it on there to display it at a boat show and meant to change it out later. We originally thought that this was the possible cause of the porpoising but we were wrong. The dealer contacted LOWE and they said to check which holes the motor was mounted in (it was correct ) and put a 15P on it, which obviously helped to raise the RPM's but did nothing for the porpoising. That seemed like an odd prop suggestion anyway so next we tried a 19P that the dealer had laying around and it was a little better but still bounced around when you tried to trim up. At that point, I started dealing with a LOWE rep directly and he suggested the wedges (and another prop but that's another story) so I epoxied them on. Night and day difference the first time out, at least until one fell off about 30 minutes into it. The porpoising stopped and could even trim the motor up to the "trim limiter" position. Fully loaded with all the gear and two big guys we were getting about 46 mph @ 5800 WOT. I felt like we were leaving some on the table with the RPM's that high so I put on a Tempest Plus 21P and was happy with the results - about 50-51 mph @ 5400 WOT. My guess is that we'd probably be around 55mph @ 5600-5700 RPM's if I were to unload the boat and ride alone. Seeing as though I've got more gear (and gut) than I want to admit, I think that's as good as I'm gonna get. Now if I can keep the wedges attached, it will be ok. I'm sure a jack plate would make it even better but was assured by the dealer that LOWE would not honor the warranty if I put one on so I'm not trying that. I like the boat much better now that this porpoising issue is mostly resolved (only mostly because the epoxy isn't as permanent as welding but was told by LOWE that it was too late to weld) but I have to say, that boat should have never left the factory like that. Before the wedges, I had to trim down so much that I was literally plowing through the water to keep from bouncing. I could be wrong but from my understanding, the newer boats are leaving the factory with them welded on, better late than never. If you don't have the wedges, LOWE should work with you to resolve the problem. Both Lowe and the dealer have been very helpful to resolve the issue. Now, on to loading that live well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12