Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New RT 188 w/ 115 pro xs Command thrust

Hello,

i took delivery of a new rt 188 today. It is powered by the Mercury 115 pro xs Command Thrust. The prop thst came from the Ranger Factory was a 21p Tempest. Ive been seeing that most are shipping with a 24p. Is this a mistake or is a 21p what ranger ships now? Thanks

2. Member
    I'd be interested to see how that runs. People with the 24p seem to be running around 5800 rpm, but the motor red lines at 6300, so I wonder whether your 21 will get you closer to the max rpm.

3. Member
    Thank for the reply. Im hoping to get it out on the lake for break in next week sometime. I will post the results of my run. I was concerned with over reving the motor with the 21p. The 21p is listed on the pick list that was sent with the boat, but i was going to call Ranger on Monday to ask about it.

4. Member
    I would be curious as to what Ranger says. I have same setup and mine came with 24P Tempest Plus. I get 5400 RPM's and 47mph (gps). Mercury wants motor to turn more RPM's but that's it for mine. Dealer let me try 21P TP, 6000RPM's, 46mph and killed coming out of the hole. Ranger also told me my motor wasn't rated as high of RPM as Mercury website, or their customer service??? Another authorized Mercury Repair shop told me it was very important for performance and motor life for my motor to turn higher RPM's. Please post what you find out. Enjoy your new boat!!! krw

Enjoy the new boat.

6. Member
    Mine came with a Solas SS 21 pitch...seems to do fine.....

7. Member
    I think that the proxs version of the fourstroke would benefit from a lower pitch prop to get the RPMs up. I would think that it is a step in the right direction but who knows. Maybe the pitch is too small if loaded light. I would run it first and see how it performs before worrying about it.

8. Member
    What pvs plugs are any of you guys using in the prop? My 4 stroke liked the solid plugs for holeshot.

9. Member
    Mine came with 24p but I complained about the low rpms also. Apparently that is the wrong prop, dealer installed the correct 21p tempest. Tried it out today, hole shot was much better, and it was no slouch with the 24! Rpms are up to where they should be, gained 2mph top end to 47.

Great boat, congrats!

Krw- had a coangler who has been with me on other trips with the 24, he noticed the improvement right away also. Maybe you had a bad 21p prop?
    Last edited by blargh; 07-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.

10. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCal88 View Post
    Hello,

i took delivery of a new rt 188 today. It is powered by the Mercury 115 pro xs Command Thrust. The prop thst came from the Ranger Factory was a 21p Tempest. Ive been seeing that most are shipping with a 24p. Is this a mistake or is a 21p what ranger ships now? Thanks
    Where did you get the boat from?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

11. Member
    It came from Cabelas in Huntsville AL.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh View Post
    Mine came with 24p but I complained about the low rpms also. Apparently that is the wrong prop, dealer installed the correct 21p tempest. Tried it out today, hole shot was much better, and it was no slouch with the 24! Rpms are up to where they should be, gained 2mph top end to 47.

Great boat, congrats!

Krw- had a coangler who has been with me on other trips with the 24, he noticed the improvement right away also. Maybe you had a bad 21p prop?
    Thanks for the info! Im looking forward to getting on the water and giving it a spin.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    You not gonna believe this but I'm the one that stopped at the loves truck stop with my RT188 headed south I had just picked up and talked to you today. You were headed north with yours.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 07-09-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    You not gonna believe this but I'm the one that stopped at the loves truck stop with my RT188 headed south I had just picked up and talked to you today. You were headed north with yours.
    Hahaha i guess the internet is small. Yes that was me. I may be headed back to AL in the near future. I have to call dealer in the morning because my paperwork has an rt198 listed as the boat purchased ��. Serial numbers match my rig but description says rt198 w/ merc 150.

15. Member
    Tell them they gave you the wrong boat.

16. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I was looking at your prop before you drove off because I've gotta get a stainless. Mine has the aluminum and its bent a little. I don't know if I should get a 21 since I have the regular 4 stroke? The aluminum one on it is a 21.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I was looking at your prop before you drove off because I've gotta get a stainless. Mine has the aluminum and its bent a little. I don't know if I should get a 21 since I have the regular 4 stroke? The aluminum one on it is a 21.
    From what ive read on other posts, the non pro xs 115 have been running between a 19 and 21 laser i beleive.

18. Member
    From what ive read on other posts, the non pro xs 115 have been running between a 19 and 21 laser i beleive.
    The standard 4S Merc users have 20" Lasers or 19" X7s and so do I. I took out the PVS plugs and it explodes out of the hole.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

The OP mentioned that it is a Command Thrust. Isn't that a lower geared and larger hub lower unit than the standard 4 Stroke?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Tell them they gave you the wrong boat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast