Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    The standard 4S Merc users have 20" Lasers or 19" X7s and so do I. I took out the PVS plugs and it explodes out of the hole.
    Your optimax is a 2 stroke I believe? Just curious, My 4 stroke likes the solid plugs.

2. Member
    So I finally got out on the water today. Life is busy and just couldn't get on the lake earlier. But i have my results for the 21p tempest and couldn't be happier. I installed VesselView Mobile and it recorded my best speed of 50.5 MPH at 6260 RPM. I calculated a prop slip of 3% which is kind of unheard of. Maybe the VesselView speed is off some? But either way im very happy with the boat. Did have some water in the bilge when plug was pulled out. Kind of suprised any water would come out.

3. Member
    Put a little bit of lube on the Oring of your drain plug and tighten it down real good. These plugs are prone to leak if not guddentight.

4. Member
    OK so how many with 115 c/t have had props switched to 21p?
    Semper Fi

5. Member
    I did, much better hole shot and gained a couple mph. Say something to your dealer, they should exchange it, 24p is the incorrect prop. You need your rpms up, mine maxed around 5200 or so with 24p.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Put a little bit of lube on the Oring of your drain plug and tighten it down real good. These plugs are prone to leak if not guddentight.
    Thanks!!! That did the trick. Took it out today and put some silicone grease on the oring and no water .

Quote Originally Posted by AFCal88 View Post
    So I finally got out on the water today. Life is busy and just couldn't get on the lake earlier. But i have my results for the 21p tempest and couldn't be happier. I installed VesselView Mobile and it recorded my best speed of 50.5 MPH at 6260 RPM. I calculated a prop slip of 3% which is kind of unheard of. Maybe the VesselView speed is off some? But either way im very happy with the boat. Did have some water in the bilge when plug was pulled out. Kind of suprised any water would come out.
    I think I saw you out there tuesday. Assuming you were at the great Wappapello lake?
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

8. Member
    Yep i was out on the lake Tuesday. Trying to get the fish figured out now . Havent fished the lake as much as i would like to.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    That is excellent, looks like you have it nailed unless the motor loosens up a bit as it breaks in.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    So I wonder if Ranger will swap out my 24P tempest I had installed from them when I ordered my RT188 ProXS 115 CT. All I can get is around 5300rpm's and have hit a top speed of 49mph with wind at my back and going with the current on gps. I would like to put a 21p tempest on to get the rpm's up to 6000+ to keep my outboard from damaging itself.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    So I wonder if Ranger will swap out my 24P tempest I had installed from them when I ordered my RT188 ProXS 115 CT. All I can get is around 5300rpm's and have hit a top speed of 49mph with wind at my back and going with the current on gps. I would like to put a 21p tempest on to get the rpm's up to 6000+ to keep my outboard from damaging itself.
    Yes, they have to, they admitted the 24p was installed by mistake (think it is for the 150's). Speak to your dealer and say what you said above, concerned about damage done to motor. Don't expect any mph increase but hole shot will improve nicely.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh View Post
    Yes, they have to, they admitted the 24p was installed by mistake (think it is for the 150's). Speak to your dealer and say what you said above, concerned about damage done to motor. Don't expect any mph increase but hole shot will improve nicely.
    Great, I'll give it a shot

13. Member
    Has anyone had a dealer that admitted to this mistake, putting the wrong prop on the boat. I also have the same 24P prop and motor combination and have always felt that it wasn't the correct prop. Just wondered if anyone had actually went to dealer and had them correct this issue by swapping props.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerKing View Post
    Has anyone had a dealer that admitted to this mistake, putting the wrong prop on the boat. I also have the same 24P prop and motor combination and have always felt that it wasn't the correct prop. Just wondered if anyone had actually went to dealer and had them correct this issue by swapping props.
    According to mine Ranger admitted they were using the wrong reference sheet. If this is a new 188 may want to wait a week or two in case any other common issues manifest and get it all done in one shot. Taillights burning out & motor trim pump, getting my pump replaced next week, this is the 3rd in two months. If motor starts drifting down it may have one of the bad batch of pumps installed. With that said, love the boat and no regrets.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh View Post
    According to mine Ranger admitted they were using the wrong reference sheet. If this is a new 188 may want to wait a week or two in case any other common issues manifest and get it all done in one shot. Taillights burning out & motor trim pump, getting my pump replaced next week, this is the 3rd in two months. If motor starts drifting down it may have one of the bad batch of pumps installed. With that said, love the boat and no regrets.
    Yeah, I'm also going in to get my 3rd trim/tilt replaced. Getting a little old, since my dealer is over an hour away.

16. Member
    Just talked to my dealer today. Says should have a 21p Tempest...... They gave me mine with a 24p ( what Ranger sent with the boat)....

So they are going to call Ranger to get me a 21p.
    Semper Fi

17. Member
    Make sure you guys are checking your torque on the prop nut. I noticed extra play the other day in my prop. I got my torque wrench out, set to 55 ft lbs and was abke to get TWO full turns on prop nut. The prop came from Ranger like this. Not sure how something like prop nut torque was messed up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Just talked to my dealer today. Says should have a 21p Tempest...... They gave me mine with a 24p ( what Ranger sent with the boat)....

So they are going to call Ranger to get me a 21p.
    Good deal!!! Mine runs flawlessly with the 21p. VesselView got my rpms at 6230 few days ago. 24p is definitely too much prop for the setup.

19. Member
    Good deal!!! Mine runs flawlessly with the 21p. VesselView got my rpms at 6230 few days ago. 24p is definitely too much prop for the setup.
    i called my dealer today. He says he will check with Ranger on it.

So with the 21p do you see any loss with hole shot? Vrs. The 24p

20. Member
    Called Ranger and they are sending me a Tempest 21p to exchange with my 24p. He said its the prop Mercury wants on it, but he thinks i will be just using more fuel and seeing the same top speed. So i wonder if the 24p is a better option?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast