Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knowledge on 2006 johnson 150

Model # j150glsde johnson 150 turning a michigan prop 23p. Only running 4500 rpms and 55 st wot. Not real familiar with these props but I'm not getting the rpms I should. Have a 6" jackplate P2P is 3.5". Water pressure is 20psi. Oh yea motors on a 2006 stratos 285 pro. Anyone have an idea why it's not turning that prop better. It should be capable of turning a 24.

2. Member
    2004 Stratos 285 ProXL with '04 150 Johnson, 6" jackplate at 3 3/8" prop to pad. Running a 24 Raker worked by Mark. Turns 5400-5500 at 61 MPH depending on load. I have run a 25 Tempest Plus also, similar results. Verify your throttle plates are fully open at WOT position.

3. Member
    I checked throttle plates and their wide open when hot foot is pressed. I just recently replaced the tach and another guy mentioned I check the setting screw on the back. I'm going to try that and see if that helps.

4. Member
    Is your johnson the same model?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Not that familiar with a Michigan prop most folks that run the 285 Pro run either a 24 P raker, a 25P renegade or 24 P power tech or a Tempest Plus in 25P. You may want to check the sticky post above on the 60* timing adjustment.

6. Member
    It may actually be the tach I installed. On the back of the gauge it has the pole selectors. Mine only has a 5 and 6. Which pulse reading should it be on?

7. Member

8. Member
    Ok just got off faria site and it says for the 12 pole setting it should be on switch 5. But it also stated that 1/2 a pulse = 1 pole which would be 6.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't know about the Faria gauge but the pole setting for your motor straight out of the factory service manual says 6.

10. Member
    Well thats good enough for me. Faria PDF file has it misprint ed on their site. OK as far as the timing goes I seen the pics in the sticky. Are those pics with motor in neutral?

11. Member
    Neverending I see it's in neutral position. So is that the only adjustment I need to make for the timing links?

12. Member
    Nevermind*

13. Member
    Ok so just found time to check out linkage and all checks out good but still not reaching max rpms. Readjusted tach to correct setting and no good.

14. Member
    Any other ideas. Could it be carbs or fuel restrictions not allowing motor to fully rev?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the throttle plates are opening fully that eliminates carbs, if you were getting a fuel restriction, you would get a check engine alarm. You may want to remove the drain plugs from the carbs and make sure that the high speed orifices are fully seated in the carb bowls. Use a timing light and make sure you are getting spark on all 6 cylinders.

16. Member
    Ok so I checked all plugs and they are getting spark. Now just need to check for the carb issue you mentioned. I'm not real familiar with how the high speed orfices are suppose to be placed in carb bowl. Any hints?

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They screw in. You remove the carb drain plug, and then insert a small #2 screwdriver into the opening gently twist the screwdriver until you feel it fit into the slot of the orifice then turn them clockwise to seat and counter clockwise to remove.

18. Member
    Will do buddy. I appreciate your patience lol

19. Member
    Ok finally checked the Jets in carb . 2 were a little loose but the rest were tight. Next chance I get I'll give her a spin and let ya know.

20. Member
    I also wanted to invest in a service manual for this motor. I couldn't find it in the above sticky. Is ebay my last option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast