1998 150 EFI Questions

Serial number 0G624081

I picked up this motor and have ordered a factory service manual. While I am waiting for the manual to show up I was wondering if someone could help with a few questions. Is this a 2.0 or 2.5 Liter engine and what is the usual gear ratio in the lower unit and what is the WOT RPM range for this engine? I will be replacing my 86 Mariner Magnum 150 with this motor after the Mariner developed a loud knock in the upper end of the power-head last week. Prior to bringing this home I was able to complete compression check with all plugs removed. I was not able to warm the engine prior to the test but came up with 115 to 120 across all cylinders.

Unfortunately, this motor has sat for two years with fuel in the VST. I have broke down the vst tank and ordered the main o ring and fuel pump along with a rebuild kit for the manual pump along with a long list of other maintenance items.

Thank you in advance for any info provided.
    1991 Storm 20'6 ( Double Cheesy )
    1998 Merc 225 EFI
    Bob's Jackplate
    SIMRAD GO7
    Dual Power Pole Sportsman 2's

2. Member
    Replace the fuel lines also, and maybe the bleed lines too. Possibly have injectors cleaned if any signs of bad fuel delivery.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2.5L

5750 WOT RPM's (Factory Recommendation).

Suggest the items mentioned above, AND:

-VST Needle
    -VST 90 degree Brass Checkvalve (Oil Mixing Valve at bottom of VST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    2.5L

5750 WOT RPM's (Factory Recommendation).

Suggest the items mentioned above, AND:

-VST Needle

-VST 90 degree Brass Checkvalve (Oil Mixing Valve at bottom of VST).
    Thank you Don, I'm thinking I may send in the injectors and fuel rail for a cleaning while I'm working on it.
    1998 Merc 225 EFI
    Bob's Jackplate
    SIMRAD GO7

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatherof5 View Post
    Thank you Don, I'm thinking I may send in the injectors and fuel rail for a cleaning while I'm working on it.
    no way id run an EFI motor that sat that long without having the injectors serviced.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatherof5 View Post
    Certainly not a bad idea, at all. Good time to upgrade to TDR Reeds, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Certainly not a bad idea, at all. Good time to upgrade to TDR Reeds, too.
    Well, once I removed the fuel rail I found that someone had placed two different injectors in. Two with white tips in the top and four with the needed pink tip. So, cleaning has been put on hold unit I locate the proper injectors.

This motor was kind of a basket case. Bought it from a person who only wanted the hull and knew nothing about the motor. It has good compression but appeared that someone had taken a lot of parts off. Hopefully we will get it up and running soon.
    1998 Merc 225 EFI
    Bob's Jackplate
    SIMRAD GO7

8. Member
    lemme know if you cant locate injectors,i got a handful,somewhere, in all my crap!