Maxxum got swamped

Recessed foot pedal drain plugged and I didn't notice it during wash up until about inch of water built up. Foot pedal not working. Any tips on diagnosis where to check what parts to replace?

2. Member
    Arrrgh. Sounds like you will need a control board if yours is variable speed. The board comes with a new speed control switch. You MIGHT just need a side switch, on/off/con.
    Rotten break.

3. Member
    Remove the Alum plate on the bottom of the foot pedal and see if the power wires are not corroded completely off the connection points. My guess the + is the problem.
    Clean up get the old piece of stake on off. Put new take on on wire and you should be good to go. Or get a new power cable and replace it.

4. Member
    thanks folks! I'll take the bottom plate off and see if anything is corroded or disconnected.

5. Member
    Also, be sure and look at the connections to the mom/off/con switch. If you replace connections, make sure to use the flag connection like it on it now, otherwise, they will short against the aluminum plate.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Will do! thanks to all for your help! I'll try to take a look one night this week.

7. Member
    Took off the plate and one of the red/black wires connections had broken. Very quick and easy fix. Nice when it works out to be this simple....seems not very often for me. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    When you replace that spade terminal use a good set of crimping tools and a good terminal end. After you crimp it, pull on it hard to ensure you got a good tight crimp. Harbor Freight sells a good inexpensive crimping tool, the cast iron ones not the stamped steel ones. You might also choose to spray WD-40 on that area and scrub it with an acid brush with cut down bristles to remove corrosion.

9. Member
    good points Bill. I scrubbed it out as best I could. I found right angle coated terminals at Auto Zone and replaced the fouled one. I am contemplating just replacing them all at this point. This thing is well over 10 years old and showing it's age. Have had a few electrical issues the past few years and thought for sure it was my excuse for a new unit but if it wasn't for the knowledgeable and helpful folks on this site I might be able to convince the wife instead of fixing it. I'll give credit to MK for a durable product, this thing gets beat up and still ticking.

10. Member
    I've beat my 74# Maxxum like a rented mule. They are one tough cookie.