Smile *FIXED* JOHNSON GT 150 NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER

Hello!
    Here to hoping someone can help me with my problem.

1990 Johnson GT 150. Last weekend I found that I was not getting any spark to one cylinder. I removed the coil pack and ohmed it and it seemed fine. I swapped the coil pack with a cylinder that was giving spark and it was still dead on the cylinder and was working properly on the good cylinder. OK so power pack must be bad. Ordered new CDI power pack that matched OEM #s. Power pack came in last night and I installed step by step as instructions said. Now Im not getting any power to any cylinder! I even put the old power pack back on just to see if I could get fire to the other 5 cylinder but all dead. So I put the new power pack on AGAIN and followed step by step all CDI trouble shooting with no luck. Kill switch disconnected, rectifier disconnected from stator everything. I recently had a stator installed a few months ago bc it was showing signs of melting so its brand new. Checked all grounds and made sure no wires were pinched etc. Everything looks as it should. Im at a total loss idk what to do. I don't understand why I had power to 5 out of 6 cylinders a few days ago and now nothing. Every connector and connector pins are correct and tight and ground is tight for power pack. WHATS THE DEAL?? PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by caseyshoe27; 07-11-2017 at 07:51 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do you have a remote start switch available? If you do unplug the big red plug at the motor and connect the remote switch's leads to the starter and the other to the battery connection on the solenoid. Unplug all the plug wires from the plugs and use a plug for testing. Attach the spare plug to a plug wire and ground it to the block then activate the remote start switch. You should have spark on that cylinder, then progress to the others. Make sure the timer base leads are correct as it is easy to cross them during installation and make sure the power pack ground wire has the start washer installed. If you get spark, connect the kill switch and connect the big red plug back together.

3. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I unfortunately do not have a remote starter. I have checked the timer base and stator leads a dozen times all colors and pins match up. Ill try to jump the solenoid with the big red plug unplugged. as far as the ground for the power pack I put it in between the power pack and the engine just like the original when I installed the new power pack. I don't remember a "start washer" and Im not sure what that is unless its just a basic washer. Should I try to move the ground to a better location?

4. Member
    he meant a star washer,,,,

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

6. Member
    Thanks for your help. I fixed it. Im not sure exactly what I did but I fixed it haha. I fully charged the batteries over night and tried again after lunch next day. It started firing on 3 of 6 cylinders. I pulled every male and female connector apart not just from the new power pack. I did find one connector that a pin half way pushed back and I reset it back so it would make a connection. I took every coil pack off and cleaned them as well as scraped the block where the metal clips were thinking it may be a ground and reinstalled them. I also tightened and cleaned every single ground on the motor. It cranked and ran better than ever before! Took it to the lake and it took off out of the hole like a scolded dog! Surprised me, I have had the boat nearly 6 years and its never ran so good. RPMs hit 5500 and GPS said I was running 59.5mph and I think I could of got more if I would of had more room and I didn't have 10 big wake boats running all over the place. It was night and day compared to my previous 4000 RPM 38 MPH. And it was idling so smooth you could barely hear it. It felt like I got a new boat. I have been struggling with this motor for several years and I am so glad its running like its supposed to!