Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Checking Trailer Ball

Just a little reminder of something that I am know going to pay a little closer attention to. While trailering back from the lake I could feel a little more movement when I came to a complete stop. I thought it was just the surge brakes. Backed the boat into the garage and when cranking the boat trailer off the hitch I thought I noticed the ball moving. Sure enough it was really loose and the nut was only holding on by a couple of threads. Pretty spooky. The only thing that I can think that made it work loose was a couple of days prior I had sprayed the ball with anti rust lubricant to make it easier to come on and off the hitch. I use my boat about once a week all year around so I typically don't remove my trailer ball/reciever from my truck. Im going to start doing that a little more from know on and check the lock nut.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 07-08-2017 at 02:09 PM.

2. Member
    I weld mine. I know it won't come loose.

3. Member
    I can't see the nut coming loose if it was torqued down tight enough. Maybe someone was trying to "borrow" it. I tightened mine and then beat the threads down to a wad,have to cut it off if I ever need to remove it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I can't see the nut coming loose if it was torqued down tight enough. Maybe someone was trying to "borrow" it. I tightened mine and then beat the threads down to a wad,have to cut it off if I ever need to remove it.
    I put it on with a large pipe wrench. Used two hands when tightening the nut so I don't know why it worked loose. Im replacing it with a new one.

when new ..I drill a hole all way thru nut and ball shaft, when torqued down, then knock a matching hole size steel pin, then brad each end, to a old style rivet head look.. of course locking rod in Hitch, theft proof ball

6. Member
    I always drill a hole in the shaft just below the nut and then insert a cotter pin.

Yup, one year coming back from hunting the nut came off and the trailer came off the hitch, the only thing that kept the trailer from coming totally detached from the truck was the safety chain. By the time we came to a stop only about 2/3 of the ball was left.

7. Member
    Lubricant on the ball only helps keep it from loosening. You should always put some grease on the ball, otherwise why bother knocking yourself in the shins when you walk into it, with grease, you have something to see just exactly where the oweee is.

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I weld the ball nut, keeps it from getting loose. The more important thing is someone can't steal it. Another thing even if you lock the trailer to the ball the trailer can still get stolen simply by unbolting the ball and and bolting it to their truck and driving off with the trailer.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

9. Scraps
    You can also take a chisel to the exposed threads. Just distort the threads in two places, put the chisel across the threads and a couple whacks.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Lubricant on the ball only helps keep it from loosening. You should always put some grease on the ball, otherwise why bother knocking yourself in the shins when you walk into it, with grease, you have something to see just exactly where the oweee is.
    This, keep the ball greased !!! It may not look nice and shiny but the hitch socket will turn easily on it. It's been known for the hitch socket to grab the ball from friction and over time loosen the ball from all the turns. My balls stay greased.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    My balls stay greased.
    I'm sure Marie appreciates it. I have to keep mine greased b/c I have an actuator that pivots back and forth on the ball, in addition to turning.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

12. Member
    Do you all use a lock washer? The few I've tried to get loose after using the lock washer have beer really stinking hard to get loose. Wouldn't prevent a determined theif, but I would think it would be enough to keep it from loosening on it's own.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Do you all use a lock washer? The few I've tried to get loose after using the lock washer have beer really stinking hard to get loose. Wouldn't prevent a determined theif, but I would think it would be enough to keep it from loosening on it's own.
    I'm with you. When put on correctly most times that lock washer will take a cheater pipe to bust it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'm with you. When put on correctly most times that lock washer will take a cheater pipe to bust it loose.
    Very possibly so, but why take the chance? I little cheap grease with a brush is good insurance.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

15. Member
    Very possibly so, but why take the chance? I little cheap grease with a brush is good insurance.
    Not to mention the wear on the tounge hitch assembly that locks the trailer to the ball.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    The last one I had to get loose did take a cheater pipe and even then I thought something would break before that sucker came loose.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

What would be the proper torque spec for the ball nut?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    What would be the proper torque spec for the ball nut?
    10,255 ft-lbs.

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by snapshotmd View Post
    10,255 ft-lbs.
    We're going to need a bigger torque wrench.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I do grease my balls -- but it's not to keep a correctly installed nut with a lock washer from coming loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast