Smithville Lake Info

Anyone have any idea what kind of fishery this is? I have family that lives by this lake and thought about dragging my boat with me when we visit. Is it a waste of time? Any info on spring, summer or fall will help. Thanks.

highland reservoir, gives even great anglers fits and about 50% of the lake will tear off your lower unit or sink your boat. But there are some good size fish and used to be some monsters caught out of it. 7's show up in weekend/night tournaments often enough to piss off anyone who hasn't topped 5lb there
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

3. Member
    I live in Olathe, and try to go at least once a week. Had a very good spring, an OK June, now can't buy a bite. If any one would like to share some info on what these fish are doing, I for one would greatly appreciate it! I'm NOT looking for spots, I just want to know a few answers. Do these fish get on main lake structure? Do they suspend in the timber like at Truman? Do they stay somewhat shallow up the arms? Should I look shallow or deep? Mid range depths? 8 hours Wednesday, 1 bite. Really frustrated with this lake right now, feel like I don't know where to start looking.
    Don

4. Member
    I have a youtube channel where I recap all the tournaments I fish. I have fished a handful this year on Smithville and live just 2 miles from the ramp. It does have a bunch of timber that I have heard guys catch them suspended but I have never had luck doing it. I generally just fish shallow as it seems like most fish in this lake dont go >10 ft. (I am sure some do but I cant find them) If you do plan on coming up and bringing your boat feel free to PM me and I can get you a basic idea on what is happening on the lake at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqk..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ILLBassTrav View Post
    I have a youtube channel where I recap all the tournaments I fish. I have fished a handful this year on Smithville and live just 2 miles from the ramp. It does have a bunch of timber that I have heard guys catch them suspended but I have never had luck doing it. I generally just fish shallow as it seems like most fish in this lake dont go >10 ft. (I am sure some do but I cant find them) If you do plan on coming up and bringing your boat feel free to PM me and I can get you a basic idea on what is happening on the lake at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqk..._as=subscriber
    Thanks

6. Member
    Thanks! You answered a lot of my questions. I have been looking out deeper, really can't find much. Sounds like the lake fishes a lot like Truman!
    Don

7. Member
    That lake is always a reality check for me
    '01 Gambler DE Intimidator
    250 Merc Pro XB