Thread: Woods reservoir

Woods reservoir

Taking my son and nephew camping at Arnold Air Force Base next weekend (14-16 July).

Never been there. Looking for some suggestions.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clint

2. Member
    Bring some jigging spoons because you can catch as many white bass as you want to catch down around the dam area.

3. Member
    If you have the equipment to do it safely, I would suggest night fishing. I have had success there in the past with small plastic grubs at night for smallmouth.

4. Member
    Awesome! Thanks!

5. Member
    If you prefer LM head under the bridge early am or evenings. There used to be wood up there, I have to admit it's been over a decade since I fished it. I had a RV there for years. There is an old grave yard on a bank under that bridge, should be on your map. Look straight in front of you to the left as you are going under. It's in that area. That used to be a good bank. The curves in the river were pretty good, especially the sharp ones. There was wood in them. It's really more like a creek that meanders through that part of the lake so watch your electronics or map chip. You'll come to the area where it meets a great big flat. Where the river (looks like a creek) dumps in the lake that used to be like a local community hole. You can fish all over that flat but I'd do it on trolling motor if it's a shallow as it used to be. You may see locals in Jon boats run it? Seems like it was like two feet then it drops off back in the old river. I always caught more fish on that end of the lake than the lower end during the day in the summer. I agree with fishing the lower end at night. We used to do pretty good with zoom critter craws all over the lake.

It's been slow for me which I've never been real good on woods anyway but I been catching a couple last couple weekends night fishing. Some come before dark and some after. Caught 3 last night all on blade and had several hits Friday night but couldn't get any in the boat. All info above is good. Plan on being up there next Fri night. I'm determined to figure that place out better. It's got big fish I just gotta figure out how to catch them.
    1999 Blazer 202 pro v 200 mercury efi

7. Member
    Great info guys. Thank you. We will be here Friday- Monday

8. Member
    If you get bored, go over to Tims Ford. It's less than an hour away and give it a whirl, expecially at night. It's a much larger lake than Wood's.

9. Member
    our wenesday nighter been taking around 10lbs to win last saturday evening tourny took 19lbs. Yes on the spoons always have top water on also because the bass and strips are coming up in the jumps very good,fish the back of both pockets were your stating with buzz and frog early and late hang off small island toward the river channel in 14-16 foot of water youll catch bass and strips there. Woods has alot of grass in it now the first time in 20 years find the edges in about 8' and throw plastics, with what everybody told you you will catch fish.. but a little advice dont hang out to long in one spot or area these fish move constantly so if you findd a spot and catch some you can probably go back in an hr or two and catch another wave of fish

10. Member
    Great info. Thank you. How much does current affect the fish at woods?

11. Member
    There is no current the airforce keeps it regulated pretty good,if there is current it will be in the middle of the rif raff in rollins creek were the dischare from the testing comes from it can get good there if you can catch when there dumping.
    Im not fishing tonight because the kids have VBS but ill talk to my partner in the morning and see what he did.

12. Member
    Oh and if you want theres a saturday morning open tourny out of morris ferry i think it starts at 6 not positive though but can find out if you want.

13. Member
    Not really looking for a tourney with an 8 year old and a 9 year old in the boat. Just want to put these two boys on some fish.

14. Member
    Just curious...how did y'all do?

15. Member
    Sorry for the delayed response.

We killed em! Found schools of hybrids and srtripers at dawn each day and wore em out on topwater until the sun came over the trees. had several largemouth mixed in too.

Found a bnch of smallies after dark dark closer to the dam.

all and all it was an awesome trip. My 8 year old son and 9 year old nephew had a blast.

That's awesome. Really glad to hear that. Last trip up there two weekends ago I caught one around 6lb and had several more smaller ones. Missed a ton. They were knocking the devil out of it. Can't wait to go back
    1999 Blazer 202 pro v 200 mercury efi

17. Member
    Good news Clint

18. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Good news Clint
    Now I want to go!