Thread: Crankbait Line

Crankbait Line

Good Afternoon! I am looking for a good universal line is for crank baits. I do not fish them often, but I have a set up for this technique. I have all depths covered with DD22, RC 2.5 (square and divers), Rock Crawlers, and Warts.

What approach would you recommend if you only had one rod to dedicate. I was thinking 20lb Power Pro with a Flourocarbon leader.

Looking forward to responses.

Dave

2. Member
    I run 17 lb mono for anything that's gonna bang on rock. Also need the stretch
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

3. Member
    Sunline Assassin FC

I'd spool my rig with 12lb or 15lb and be done with it. This line will last a long time and still retain it's values. This line has great abrasion resistance, so it's ideal for fishing over rocks. Can't go wrong with this line!

4. Member
    What rod do you plan to use with the braid set up?

Huge diff between a D22 and a Wiggle Wart

5. Member
    I am using a Falcon Cara Cranker for deeper applications. I may stick to my micro rod for Rock Crawlers and Warts. It is lighter action.

6. Member
    Diameter of the line will affect depth of a crank bait.

So for square bill and mid depth application (10 feet) I run 12-14 lb. mono. For deeper applications I run 10-12 lb. test.
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

7. Member
    10# yozuri is a good all purpose cranking and topwater line for me. braid on about everything else
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Member
    In the summer, I would use 14lb mono. It will let you get deep divers close to their maximum depth, but works really well with squarebills and medium divers. You can also horse the fish in a little bit more because mono has more stretch than braid and fluorocarbon so you won't lose as many when they pull at the boat. If you're planning on doing a lot of deep cranking, I would recommend 12lb Fluorocarbon to get the bait deeper.

In the winter, I would use 10lb fluorocarbon on a Wiggle Wart or squarebill. You can get the bait a little deeper and most guys don't like throwing that light of line in the rocks so you can give the fish a little bit different look. Just make sure to retie!

Here's a video I made a while back about cranking in the winter. It may be helpful. I also have ones on deep cranking in the summer and winter:

Last edited by Fish the Moment; 07-08-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Fish the Moment
    YouTube Fisherman
    FLW College Fishing Southern Conference Champion
    5-Time Junior B.A.S.S. State Champion in Arkansas and Wisconsin

Check out my YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWM...lN-Jfw6o-hGTuw

Please leave a comment on my videos to let me know how I can improve and what other techniques I should talk about!

9. Member
    I use 12lb sunline reaction. Made for crankbaits with more stretch than regular fluoro. No complaints with it.

10. Member
    FWIW, I rarely run more than an ~ 8 foot diver. My dedicated open treble crankbait and jerkbait co-poly is 15 lb Sunline Defier. One of the BEST co-poly lines I have ever used for open moving trebles, and of note the batch on my Monoblock 100XR/custom CBR845 combo is about 4 years old and still casts, feels and behaves like it did the first year.