stopping knot from working its way off a split ring

I have lost 4 Jeka rigs. The knot has worked its way around split ring and then it flies of leaving line with knot intact. Does any one have a suggestion for closing that gap permanently? Super glue did not help.

Thanks

Mwal

2. Member
    Remove the ring and tie to the bait ?

I always tie direct to lure, no swivel's etc at all! and use finger nail clips to cut line . and use only 20# test line

4. Scraps
    The jeka rig uses two split rings with line tied to one of the rings. Wonder if an oval ring would work or using a little dental rubber band tied over the split. It may be as simple as getting some high end split rings?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

The oval rings work. With round ones, high end or not, the knot will work its way around the ring until it catches something. Obviously we all know what it catches. With the oval ones, since they don't spin when under even the slightest pressure, the knot doesn't get to work around - the orientation of the ring prevents it. In fact, I'd wager that you could tie a knot on the "narrow" side of an oval one and it'd slide to one of the ends then not move again. This wouldn't be ideal because you'd likely have burnt the line, but I think illustrates why they work.

You might also pick up some welded rings. Attach the weight to the hook via a normal split ring, then attach a welded ring to the normal split ring for your line tie. You still have the issue of the knot potentially sliding around the ring, though I think it's less of a concern when the ring is uniform all the way around.

One last thing I can think of to consider are snap-locks. VMC makes them for sure as well as several other companies. I believe VMC calls theirs "Duolock Snaps." I use these for ice fishing to add extra action to my spoons and larger jigs and haven't had a failure. This includes a size 0 snap in a 10 minute fight with a 34 inch lake trout. The downside here is a little bit of additional size you may not want to add to the rig. A small snap is probably the size of two split rings. I doubt it'd make a difference, but that's up to you obviously.

The rubber band idea would probably work, but that just sounds like a giant hassle when there are other better ways to do it, in my opinion.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 07-12-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: adding blurb about snaps
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Is this really an issue? I always make sure my line is tied opposite the split in the split ring and it never seems to move. Oval rings are the permanent fix.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Tie your line like you normally do. then cut line as close to your knot as you can and then slid what remains down to the split in the ring. And retie your main line. The small piece of line will fill the void in the split ring.

8. Member
    oval split ring

VMC Line Tie split ring. The teardrop shape keeps round ring action with the non-slip benefit of an oval ring.

Ranting incoherently