What to do with the cutouts left my original fish finders when you wont use them

What are you all doing with the cutouts for the original factory fish finders? I have roughly a 5" cutout in the front bow panel and console. Kinda thinking about figuring out how to make a mount for a graph at the console but unsure what to do with the bow cutout. As of right now its just a square hole which looks pretty dumb.

Any thoughts or pics out there?

thanks

2. Member
    I found a place in town that makes things with carbon fiber and had him cut out a piece that fit my hole screwed it in and it looks great. total cost was about $30.
    Johnnyboydan
    Triton 185 Merc 150

3. Member
    I had a flasher I removed, cut 2 delrin 4 inch disk 1/8 think, cut out for Humminbird transducer switch and sanwiched them front and back of hole.

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

You can buy plexiglass or Lexan from most home centers, or order a piece of Starboard material (Amazon). All of these are easy to cut with a jigsaw, bandsaw or coping saw - and finish the edges by sanding. You could paint it, cover it with vinyl, or have it hydrodipped. Use another piece of material as a backing block behind the console to screw into (sandwich the console between the plate and backing block).

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

6. Member
    So you all have me thinking. Ive hydrodipped before so it wouldnt be a huge task to make some panels and dip them. I also have a small CNC setup where I could basically remake all the panels and engrave the labels. My labels have basically faded to the point you cant read them so engraving and filling with a contrasting color would make a long lasting solution.

Any others have interest in this? the trouble to make 10 sets is not much more than 1 set. Any thoughts on price point ? I guess I could do other brands as well but would need the panels in hand to copy.

Just thoghts off the top of my head.

7. Member
    So after thinking about this a little while longer I have another question. Could there be some sort of smaller unit I could replace the original units with that would be of benefit. Reason I ask is I will either have some sort of filler panel in that location or potentially something useful. Being that in todays world bigger is better and everything small is dirt cheap could there be something I could put in that place that would be of benefit. Thought maybe there was a small GPS unit or something I could use in conjunction with m much lager graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So after thinking about this a little while longer I have another question. Could there be some sort of smaller unit I could replace the original units with that would be of benefit. Reason I ask is I will either have some sort of filler panel in that location or potentially something useful. Being that in todays world bigger is better and everything small is dirt cheap could there be something I could put in that place that would be of benefit. Thought maybe there was a small GPS unit or something I could use in conjunction with m much lager graphs.
    You originally mentioned factory units left 5" holes. What were the original factory units? You could put a newer small unit there for 2d sonar only, gps only, etc. Or perhaps upsize to a 7" unit (maybe a used previous gen to save some money).

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    You originally mentioned factory units left 5" holes. What were the original factory units? You could put a newer small unit there for 2d sonar only, gps only, etc. Or perhaps upsize to a 7" unit (maybe a used previous gen to save some money).

Original were Lowrance X65. It measured 6"x5". After looking im not even sure of models offered that fit this size cutout.

10. Member
    Small cut-out under H/B, also side panel. Carbon Fiber wrapped. Simple..
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    I replaced mine with 1/8" aluminum.
    rps20170715_211127.jpg
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

12. Member
    I cut a piece of alumni bum diamond plate with a bandsaw

used grinds to Roy d corners, filed, then sanded with flapper wheel

drilled hole to Marxch, removed old bow Lorance and put plate on holes

13. Member
    Love the look of your coverings. I need to do the same.
    Where did you get the plastic and carbon fiber material and how/where did you get the triton logos?