Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    Im tired of seeing floating fish at the ramp after tournaments so IMHO there should be no dead fish allowed to be weighed at all. I also thing we should also consider 3 fish limits and livewell minimum performance requirements. Too many guys fishing in an aluminum boat with crappy circulation pumps. Honestly I'm kinda frustrated about it.
    Our weekly tourn. does not allow you to throwback dead fish. If you weigh in a dead fish, you take it home.

2. Member
    In my local stuff a dead bass can not qualify for lunker but its weight counts towards the bag minus the penalty. All dead fish are also not thrown back in the water but harvested by someone so not to leave floaters around the marinas, not let the fish go to waste and not upset people.

Weight penalty for the bag but you can't win lunker with a dead fish.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Banned
    No dead fish for big fish. I doubt the livewell, accidental hooking (), or the fish being sick plays much of a role in dead fish.

One weeknight fruit jar I used to fish did not allow any dead fish to be weighed. The one I currently fish allows dead fish, with a 1 pound total bag penalty for each one. I don't know what happens if the dead fish is also big bass, so I can't comment on that.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Our weekly tourn. does not allow you to throwback dead fish. If you weigh in a dead fish, you take it home.
    The state does not allow you to throwback a dead fish here in Texas as well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    The ones around me usually have the penalty. If it is the big bass that in fact dead, the penalty would go against that weight as well. So if the big bass is 5 lbs, it would be a 4 lb bass. Any bass alive over 4 lbs would win big bass.

8. Member
    L, just make sure you announce what ever you decide. It won't keep anyone from showing up.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

9. Member
    The ones I fish are penalty come off of total weight and a dead fish can not be weighed for big fish.

It really doesn't matter.........

what hat matters is that you have a CLEAR rule to cover the situation
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    One jackpot here if you have a dead fish your big fish and smallest fish are deducted. so in your case he would loose the big fish and his smallest .
    Otheres are 1lb per dead fish
    Up here in Northern California, you get to weigh the big fish in this instance and deduct the penalty(what ever that may be!!), but you cannot use that fish for any Big Fish prizes, you would need to weigh another Live fish to get big fish monies!!
    Jason Bubier
    530-230-8868 -Cell
    ajbubier@sbcglobal.net
    U.S. Army Veteran / Proud Navy Dad

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers89 View Post
    I think I'd stick to "no dead fish". Problem solved.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

13. Member
    So if you have a no dead fish rule does a boat that has one die throw it back in the lake and catch another or bring it back and not weigh a limit? Just because you have a no dead fish rule doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I like the 1/2 pound penalty. I'd like to think that guys try to keep them alive that's the whole point of it but stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishrman View Post
    So if you have a no dead fish rule does a boat that has one die throw it back in the lake and catch another or bring it back and not weigh a limit? Just because you have a no dead fish rule doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I like the 1/2 pound penalty. I'd like to think that guys try to keep them alive that's the whole point of it but stuff happens.
    Exactly.. No doubt in my mind that a (NO) dead fish rule will guarantee that someone will throw dead fish back in.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You have never tongue hooked a fish? How do you prevent that from happening? What if fish was sick before you caught it etc. Not every dead fish is a result of poor fish care.
    . Tongue hooked fish equals a dead fish. Happened to me a few times and haven't figured out how to stop it. Even when I immediately released one I don't know if it survived. One thing I like about M.L.F is weigh and release. May not be feasible but wish tournaments around here were that format. Would require some body to referee in each boat and don't think it would be easy to find someone interested in doing so.

16. Member
    Here in Texas you can't cull a dead fish so if its a keeper and its in your live well you can't cull it you have no choice but to weigh it and take the penalty.

17. Member
    If I am fishing a tournament and a fish is bleeding when i land it and i am fishing plastics, i cut the line and leave the hook in it. We have a citrus based soft drink called Sundrop in Alabama. I pour it in the fishes mouth and the bleeding stops. I don't know why but it does. I would say 95% of them are still very much alive at weigh in. I have had numerous fish, I didn't think would live but they did.

As said before should be in writing and clear. Bass are pretty hardy and will over populate an area, if some fish die, they will replenish. Never fished a tournaments with a dead fish per bag rule.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    As said before should be in writing and clear. Bass are pretty hardy and will over populate an area, if some fish die, they will replenish. Never fished a tournaments with a dead fish per bag rule.
    Haven't fished Indiana much have you? Lol

20. Banned
    Our club assesses a 1/4lb penalty for a dead fish.
    Only one fish in your 5 fish limit can be dead.
    The penalty comes off the entire bag, not the individual fish. Therefore, you can weigh a dead fish for the lunker prize.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast