Barren River conditions?

Looks like some heavy rain has hit that area the last few days. Anyone fish or drive across it lately? Wondering if it got muddy or stained at all...

2. Member
    It was a torrential downpour yesterday. I was at Brown's Ford and the river was rolling mud in an hour with lots of trees washing in. I would avoid that area.

Main lake should be good to go. I want to go to Nolin, Malone, or Barren in the morning. I haven't decided which yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge82 View Post
    Main lake should be good to go. I want to go to Nolin, Malone, or Barren in the morning. I haven't decided which yet.
    I was at Malone all last weekend. Water was great as of Monday. I have a camp at the consevation club. Great little lake.

5. Banned
    The fishing is worse than i have ever seen it. You don't have to take my word for it, the empty boat ramps and lake will say plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    The fishing is worse than i have ever seen it. You don't have to take my word for it, the empty boat ramps and lake will say plenty.
    Summer has come. They are tough everywhere i would say.

Barren has been a tough bite this year no doubt. It concerns me because you haven't heard anything about it except through bass fishing circles. I heard a rumor that there was a huge die off last fall or early spring, I don't remember which. I don't know if I believe this because too many people fish that lake for that to happen and word not get around big time. I also heard that there have been people legal and illegal net fishing and hauling hundreds of pounds of fish out of the lake to sale to restaurants, etc. Again, find it hard to believe because of the number of folks fishing the lake would be talking big time. I fish Barren a lot and I've never witnessed anything like the two rumors I have listed. I think the lake, more than likely, has been poorly managed (lake levels) especially during the spawn, over the past few years, and over fished for the size of the lake.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Summer has come. They are tough everywhere i would say.
    Except for the 4th i have been on Barren twice a day for the past week. It's very bad.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge82 View Post
    I think the lake, more than likely, has been poorly managed (lake levels) especially during the spawn, over the past few years, and over fished for the size of the lake.
    This is probably the main reason. Some years the spawn gets hurt pretty bad if the water level rises or drops while the majority are on the beds. Just the nature of a lake that fluctuates 27+ft yearly.

bassnpro1 yep, flood management and not fish management is the mission for the corp of engineers. Of course I think they could work better with fishermen on this. haha

Corps manage water levels. Not the spawn. Plain and simple. I've had some old timers tell me when they remember the area which is now the medical center being completely under water. That was before lake was built of course. Barrens biggest problem is pressure for its size.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmsports41 View Post
    Corps manage water levels. Not the spawn. Plain and simple. I've had some old timers tell me when they remember the area which is now the medical center being completely under water. That was before lake was built of course. Barrens biggest problem is pressure for its size.
    You knew they were joking about Medical Center.................RIGHT?