Thread: boca bearings

boca bearings

Has anyone put a set of boca bearings in their reels? Do they make a difference? I ordered my new boat in may and I getting bored waiting for it to get here lol just wanting to tinker around with some stuff

2. Member
    if you are looking for distance then it will probably add a few yards to it vs the stock bearings depending on what reel you have. It makes pitching easier because it takes less effort to send the lure out. If you do plan on changing out the stock bearings i recommend you checking out the Hedgehog bearings.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

3. Member
    As kercha83 says, they will improve performance. However, to me they make my reels noisier. ZPI's and Hedgehogs are quieter and greatly increase performance. Either way you go they are a great way to improve performance.

4. Member
    Get twice the sets you need. Half of them either don't improve distance or make it worse. Casting is different form almost any other bearing use as the bearings must turn freely unloaded. (Normal bearings are tested loaded in an axial direction) You can remove the seals and free spin horizontally to usually get the best ones. I have gotten mine in bulk so I don't have the hassle of wading through the bad ones and wondering why.

5. Member
    ZPI are the best. Must also use their oil too.

They do help. Easier casting and overll distance.

Boca ceramics run dry will be a bit noisier than stock. Hedgehog makes good bearings as well without the noise.

7. Member
    I have often thought of trying them. However, since I switched back to using Shimano casting reels, I find that with a good flushing of the factory bearings, they spin forever. On the Lew's and Abu Garcia's that I had before, flushing made little difference, so I would think that the Bocas would probably have made a big difference for those.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I have the boca sealed ceramic bearings in all my lews reels and not that I had an issue with the original bearings just wanted to do an upgrade on them and wow reeling in has such an effortless feeling and I can pitch alot better with less flick of the wrist and can throw a spook or frog another 8 to 10 yards. They are not cheap but so worth it in my opinion. I started with one reel and when I got home from fishing I ordered them up for all my reels
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

9. Member
    ok then, where has anyone found the best price on them

10. Member
    Call or message Trey. He is a board sponsor here and many get their Bocas from him

http://threeltuningandcleaning.com/T...l_Service.html
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    thanks for the info!

I think it depends on what type and age of your reels to a great extent. I have heard it has minimal if any effect on Shimano reels because they have equivalent bearings in them from the factory. Now with my round Abu Garcia C4 reels Boca bearings plus light weight oiling makes a huge difference. What I have found though is that an experienced operator has little problem adjusting to them but an inexperienced operator winds up having to lock the brakes down more to prevent backlash that it negates casting performance improvements.

Im a fan of the hedgehogs. Be sure you get the pin pusher tool to change out that one spool bearing. Get with tackle trap- they got all you need and are a great sponsor

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

i have the orange seal ceramic in my curados and cronarchs. they do improve performance. just make sure you install them right. some of the bearings are real close in diameter and easly installed in the wrong area. i ordered my bearings from boca themselves. they have kits for your specific reel.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    Metal shielded have the least resistance and ceramic might be even better.
    Rubber shielded would be 2nd best. ReelX oil is all I will use.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

I have ceramic in all my reels