73sv 800 what causes this.

2. Member
    For poops and giggles, we will call this screen shot Va-ga-ga... Lol... What cause the sv when set to 800k to have the path,,hump look.. Where the downimage or blindspot first touches the sv it look like im traveling don a hump or something.. Doesnt do it in 422k...

3. Member
    Im not sure what you are asking about. Those images look normal to me.

On the sideview panel, the green line I drew is the depth under the boat at that time. That is showing you where the bottom is directly under the boat. That space is going to get wider as the water gets deeper or narrower as it gets shallower. Where I drew that green line, the water was about 20 ft deep under the boat when you passed that point. At the top of the screen its 5.7 ft deep, so the line is much closer in. The top of the screen is where the boat is NOW. Where the green arrow is, is the water column under the boat.

The green arrow I drew on the down image panel shows the bottom appearing on the screen as the depth got shallower. The depth setting on that screen was too shallow, so you couldnt see the bottom until you got shallow.

If you're talking about they dark lines on either side of the sideview panel - where I drew the yellow arrow - those are called ghost lines. Sometimes you get several of them in parallel that are fainter and they are called waffling. They can show up at any time when you have the downview and sideview on the same frequency - like both on 800 or both on 455, etc. I see them on 260 and 455 on my sonar and Ive seen them on all frequencies on other brands. They are most likely caused by interference from the transducer operating sideview and downview on the same frequency - but they dont always show up and sometimes they show up when the frequencies are different, so there is still some question.

img20170706_221828.jpg
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

4. Member
    Yes.. The yellow arrow is what i was referring too.. I will change my frequencies and maybe it will help.. One peopke have said they cant see difference in 800 and 422.. I can definately tell.. It is much clearer in 800 on the sideview.. Thanks

5. Banned
    change your down to 455 and it should go away. seems to happen anytime down and side are on the same freq

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    change your down to 455 and it should go away. seems to happen anytime down and side are on the same freq
    No, it will not work, because it is not a waffle effect - it is a gap between main beam and side lobe at 800kHz.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I see this on my 93sv chirp--the only time it is present is when I am on 800kHz on sv. My dv is on 455 at that time. So that particular phenomenon may not always be caused by both being on same freq. 95+% of the time I am on 455 on both and it is never present.

I see that alot on Garmin for some reason.

9. Member
    Yeah, I played with it yesterday, and it got better on the 455 but was still there.. But I was in 5ft or less of water the whole day... I alternated frequencies on both and everything but never went completely away..

10. Banned
    Changing the frequency from 455 to 800 will significantly improve the image. Units with higher resolutions get more benefit. In the 455 kHz freq the unit is capable of searching out to 800'. Setting it to 800 kHz will drop the distance to about 125' side to side, but the quality is improved. Many people find that 800 provides the best images.

Capt Craig