Zoom in on side image?

I have used Lowrance and Humminbird units for many years. Yesterday I used a Garmin for the first time. My question is do you have to stop the chart and go into the sonar menu, then side image menu, then zoom, then turn on zoom every time you see something you want to zoom in on. Seems this is not right and way to complex???

2. Member
    Garmins sidevu zoom sucks compared to Low and HB. It also only zooms in one direction, so what ever you zoom in on gets stretched way out of proportion. I never use it any more.

You can try setting up a split screen zoom which will leave the zoom box up full time. Ive attached a screen shot showing how that looks and how it distorts the image. The zoomed in section is on top. On my 7610 its farly easy to move or change the zoom box in real time, but its still not worth it because of the distortion.

This wont help on the water, but when I see something interesting I grab a screen shot. You can zoom in on that on the PC at home. My garmin 7610 wont let me zoom in on screen shots on the mfd.

Here is split zoom on sidevu:

Here are those tire zoomed in on the PC from a screen capture.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry3215; 07-06-2017 at 11:51 PM.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    I have used Lowrance and Humminbird units for many years. Yesterday I used a Garmin for the first time. My question is do you have to stop the chart and go into the sonar menu, then side image menu, then zoom, then turn on zoom every time you see something you want to zoom in on. Seems this is not right and way to complex???
    Which specific unit do you have?
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    Is my 93sv supposed to show side images remotely as good as those posted?
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy O. View Post
    Is my 93sv supposed to show side images remotely as good as those posted?
    The ones I just posted are actually from Simulator mode on my 7610. I've never gotten any that were quite that good, though some of mine are close.

The first thing you need to get a good sidevu shot is something interesting on the bottom to get a picture of :) Flat or smooth bottoms dont ever look good.

Then, you need to have the boat moving forward in a straight line with the heading matching the course over ground as close as possible. Any crabbing will distort the images, so having the transducer on the trolling motor sucks for good sidevu. Keep moving at a nice slow, steady speed. Say between 2 or 3 mph to maybe 8 to 10 mph max. Then, its a matter of adjusting settings to get a good combination of contrast and brightness. The default settings usually work best for me.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Member
    Yeah, all those suggestions worked great for good images on my Humminbird...
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow