Issues with placing rods in 2001 HPE 170

My rod lockers in my boat wont hold hardly any of my open face rods. The boat has two rod lockers with 4 tubes in each rod locker. Definitely made for smaller rods. Has anyone taken those out and replaced them with something else.

2. Member
    I have a 2016 Sportsman 17 and it came with rod holders in the box. It would only hold 4 rods. I took the holders out and put rod socks on my rods and I can easily hold 10 now.

3. Member
    I have 4 tubes in the front of the rod lockers. Did you remove the tubes and the plastic piece holding them in as well. Or the entire rod box ?

4. Member
    Unless your boat is configured differently than mine, I'm not sure how you are coming up with 2 rod lockers. The 2007 HP 170 I have is configured with a center rod box that has rod holders mounted on both the left and right sides. There are no rod tubes anywhere in my boat. The center box will hold 7' rods, 3 on side using the factory mounts. If you use rod socks and removed the factory mounts, I could see where you could put 10-12+ rods in there.
    2008 G3 Eagle 170
    Yamaha 90 2 Stroke (TX Boat)

2007 G3 HP 170
    Yamaha 115 2 Stroke (MN Boat)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    My rod lockers in my boat wont hold hardly any of my open face rods. The boat has two rod lockers with 4 tubes in each rod locker. Definitely made for smaller rods. Has anyone taken those out and replaced them with something else.
    I have the same problem with my G3 only its an HP180. Sorry I don't have a clever fix for you but I can tell you that on mine there is a plastic plate where the rod tubes go. The rod tubes fit into the holes drilled in the plastic and run up toward the bow. I tried removing the plastic plate but to no avail as there is an aluminum member that also runs behind the plastic plate. In order to clear out the rod tubes and make a tunnel to the bow you would have to remove the aluminum member and it runs across the rod locker to the deck and supports the deck. Somehow you would have to remove the aluminum and replace it so the deck is supported.
    On the other hand I toyed with the idea of adding an extension to the left (port) rod locker and running it about a foot or so toward the passenger seat. May be someone smarter than me who could figure out how to do this and then you could have 7-8' rods in the locker. Post if you figure out something!

6. Member
    My apologies, I just found a link with photos of a 2001 HP 170 and the layout is reversed compared to my 2007. I hope you find a solution to your problem.
    2008 G3 Eagle 170
    Yamaha 90 2 Stroke (TX Boat)

2007 G3 HP 170
    Yamaha 115 2 Stroke (MN Boat)

7. Member
    I am looking at the Eagle 176 to do some multi species fishing and was interested in the rod box myself. Do you think if you ordered one from the factory they could modify it without the rod tubes?

8. Member
    Well I have emailed G3 over two weeks ago. No response. Great customer support.