Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

2017 Ranger RT198P Review

I did extensive research on BBC and on youtube to find the right boat that would suit me. I looked at Tracker, Nitro, Ranger, Stratos and Crestliner. I was a hard core fiberglass boat owner and my last boat was a stratos 294XL and it was a great boat. The issue I always had with fiberglass boats was the dreaded "what if i scratched it" or "stress cracks". The last straw was when I was fishing the river and the dock made a nice gouge out of the back of the boat, I about cried, at that point it was time for a change to aluminum. I did physical inspections of aluminum boats ie. Tracker and Crestliner. The Tracker 195tx was a sweet boat and huge! The crestliner was another giant boat and both boats looked great but they both seemed to miss that clean fiberglass boat look that I had always grew up with and owned in the past. Then I started doing a lot of research on the Ranger 198P series, this boat seemed to fit my fiberglass boat look and it even had the "pad" so it could potentially run like a fiberglass boat as well. After several different conversations here on BBC and with Roger Rose, Chris King and Pete Peterson, I decided to go with the 198P. I never once saw one of these in person, I placed the order with Pete, had him load it up with a TH marine 4" hydraulic jackplate, hot foot, elite 7ti in the console and the elite 9ti up front with the upgraded minn kota fortrex as well.

I showed up to Pro's Choice Marine last saturday to pick the boat up, they had it sitting outside glistening in the sun. My first impression pulling into the parking lot was above my expectations. After a thorough walk around, I found zero flaws with anything. The carpet was perfect, it was perfectly trimmed around the edges with the fancy rubber trim they use on the Z boats, the seats look way better in person than I thought, they seem so durable and clean looking. The center storage box is huge and will hold a lot of stuff. The fiberglass consoles are great with a lot of room behind them. I had them remove the foot plate on the drivers side to accommodate the hot foot and it gave me a lot of extra room. This boat was just set up perfectly for the hard core fisherman, like myself haha. Took the 3 hour drive back home pulling the boat, it pulled perfectly and smooth even with the single axle trailer, very nice ride.

fast forward to July 4th. Launched the boat by myself and backed it off the trailer, it doesnt take much to float the boat and it unloads easily by yourself. I went and parked it and parked the truck. hopped back in the boat and fired it right up. Easy engine start thanks to the 150 Mercury 4 stroke. Such a simple engine to start and idle, super impressed. I idled to the marker buoys and took off, on plane in seconds and up to speed FAST. This boat moves! Super impressed with the way the boat will take off and plane out. its like driving a race car. During break in process I am still seeing great speeds even at 4500 RPMS's. When I max it out on speed, for the 60 second interval, I was seeing 58.6 gps and had plenty of room to move the plate up and more speed to go. I think with the jackplate I will see 60's easily. Next, I fished for two hours in the pouring rain. There is no side to side wake movement, its a smooth front deck platform, the boat doesnt rock at all. Everything is setup perfect for fishing. I had tons of room up front for my rods and my big feet, way more room than my last Stratos 294XL up front, this boat is like an aircraft carrier. In the pouring rain, the auto bilge was a definite plus! the rod lockers and all compartments stayed dry the entire time and it was absolutely pouring. Back to the ramp I go, backed the trailer down and loaded up the boat with ease. All alone. This boat loads so easy.

My review of this boat is an A. If you are in the market for a new aluminum boat, you should really consider this boat. I cant say enough great things about it. I will post more reviews as time goes on but thought I would share for now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Now I really want mine to hurry up and get here.....

Good to hear you are very happy with it. I ordered one without every going for a ride too but I have zero concerns about my RT198p. I think it will be a perfect boat for at least half, if not more, of my fishing.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Few questions: did you try to load rods in the port rod locker and what was the longest? did the storage between the seats stay dry as it does not appear to have a seal in previous pics? is the storage under the step up to the front water tight?

4. Member
    The storage in the coin box and front step are not water tight. However they can easily be made water tight by just putting some weather stripping on them. Besides the weather stripping, I put everything in those 2 compartments in Plano boxes just to be safe.

Thanks for the review, I have liked this boat since the day Ranger announced it, as it is what I was wanting and wasn't being made yet when I found mine. Best of luck with the new rig!

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgfish View Post
    Few questions: did you try to load rods in the port rod locker and what was the longest? did the storage between the seats stay dry as it does not appear to have a seal in previous pics? is the storage under the step up to the front water tight?
    I put 6'6" and 7' rods in the port rod locker. I put my longer rods in the middle rod box. the under step box is not water tight but the coin box is in my boat. It was water proof and tight.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebait View Post
    The storage in the coin box and front step are not water tight. However they can easily be made water tight by just putting some weather stripping on them. Besides the weather stripping, I put everything in those 2 compartments in Plano boxes just to be safe.
    thats strange, mine has the rubber around the coin box and its water tight. stayed dry through the rain storm.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Mine has a flat rubber gasket around the opening but not a raised seal like around the compartments up front

Great review! You answered a lot of the questions I had! Thank you

10. Member
    Great review, congratulations on your new boat. I bought mine without a test ride and could not be more pleased. It is in the shop now getting a 4 inch hyd. jack plate and power pole installed. I have a 150 evinrude HO on mine and was running 58.5 on the GPS. Thinking about removing the angled piece under the console to gain some foot room. I did not get the adjustable steering wheel or the Hot foot. Wish I had but took what the dealer had on the floor.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine has a flat rubber gasket around the opening but not a raised seal like around the compartments up front
    Yes you are right, I was wrong. Just checked and sure enough. Guess I'll round up a raised seal for it.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Great review, congratulations on your new boat. I bought mine without a test ride and could not be more pleased. It is in the shop now getting a 4 inch hyd. jack plate and power pole installed. I have a 150 evinrude HO on mine and was running 58.5 on the GPS. Thinking about removing the angled piece under the console to gain some foot room. I did not get the adjustable steering wheel or the Hot foot. Wish I had but took what the dealer had on the floor.
    . You will see an increase with the plate for sure. I am surprised I have never seen these boats at the lake around me. Glad to be one of the first around!!!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Congrats on the new ride

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    Yes you are right, I was wrong. Just checked and sure enough. Guess I'll round up a raised seal for it.
    All good! Another thing I was surprised by is that that compartment on either side of the rear deck is not lockable storage, I've changed out all the non-locking latches on the compartments so far with the exception of those 2, still trying to come up with something for those

How many power poles does Ranger allow to be put on these? Very nice boat by the way

16. BBC SPONSOR
    All good! Another thing I was surprised by is that that compartment on either side of the rear deck is not lockable storage, I've changed out all the non-locking latches on the compartments so far with the exception of those 2, still trying to come up with something for those
    Yes good point as well, I'll call ranger and get those ��
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

But was it dry?

18. Member
    Yes good point as well, I'll call ranger and get those ��
    I actually got mine off amazon, same exact ones that are on there. Whitecap is the brand. They all operate with the same key that is used on your existing locks

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    But was it dry?
    believe it or not, yes it was dry.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Great looking set up! Congrats !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast