Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I want one.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    Thanks for the reply...I am very interested in this model Ranger down the road

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Me too....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Congratulations! Awesome boat, time to get it slimmed now!
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

5. Member
    I plan on getting one next month in august, I really like this boat

6. Member
    What prop are you running?
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    The issue I always had with fiberglass boats was the dreaded "what if i scratched it" or "stress cracks". The last straw was when I was fishing the river and the dock made a nice gouge out of the back of the boat, I about cried, at that point it was time for a change to aluminum.
    So, now that you've moved from fiberglass to aluminum, are you no longer worried about scratching it?

8. Member
    Does the plate screw in that was removed for the hot foot and is it carpeted behind it? I didn't know they allowed a jack plate but I like it and your boat looks great and rigged out perfect!

9. Member
    I just purchased the RT188 with a Yamaha 115 SHO. I've had several different bass boats over the years including a Ranger Z20, a Ranger 178, a Triton, an Alumacraft Dominator. I was a little concerned about how the boat would ride compared to the Alumacraft which was a deep V 18'8" boat. To my surprise it actually rides much better. When going across another boats wake it just skips across it where as the Alumacraft would bounce quit a bit. The boat is quick to get on plane and very fun to drive. I did have an issue when I first got the boat. When the engine was installed by Ranger they did not seal the thru transom bolts so I got a lot of water out of the drain. Cabelas quickly fixed this and now it is completely dry. Also, I did change out the cheap plastic drain plug with a SS one that I bought on Amazon. The only other issue I'm dealing with now is the performance of the Totalscan transducer. So far I have not been able to find a location that will provide sonar depth after 15 to 20 MPH. I have contacted Lowrance and they have given me a suggested location but so far it has not solved the problem. Lowrance has confirmed that this very large transducer has had some problems with this. If I can't resolve this I will go to two separate transducers - an LSS-2 and a 83/200. In the past these have worked good for me. I have two HDS 7 Gen 3 Touch graphs.

I would have considered the 198 except it would not fit in my garage. Overall I'm extremely happy with the boat and would recommend it to anyone considering a bass boat.
    2017 Ranger RT188 w/ Yamaha 115 HP SHO, Peoria AZ

10. Member
    Sounds like a great boat. How was the ride at WOT? What prop are you running?

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrc View Post
    I just purchased the RT188 with a Yamaha 115 SHO. I've had several different bass boats over the years including a Ranger Z20, a Ranger 178, a Triton, an Alumacraft Dominator. I was a little concerned about how the boat would ride compared to the Alumacraft which was a deep V 18'8" boat. To my surprise it actually rides much better. When going across another boats wake it just skips across it where as the Alumacraft would bounce quit a bit. The boat is quick to get on plane and very fun to drive. I did have an issue when I first got the boat. When the engine was installed by Ranger they did not seal the thru transom bolts so I got a lot of water out of the drain. Cabelas quickly fixed this and now it is completely dry. Also, I did change out the cheap plastic drain plug with a SS one that I bought on Amazon. The only other issue I'm dealing with now is the performance of the Totalscan transducer. So far I have not been able to find a location that will provide sonar depth after 15 to 20 MPH. I have contacted Lowrance and they have given me a suggested location but so far it has not solved the problem. Lowrance has confirmed that this very large transducer has had some problems with this. If I can't resolve this I will go to two separate transducers - an LSS-2 and a 83/200. In the past these have worked good for me. I have two HDS 7 Gen 3 Touch graphs.

I would have considered the 198 except it would not fit in my garage. Overall I'm extremely happy with the boat and would recommend it to anyone considering a bass boat.
    What kind of speed do you get w/ the 115 SHO?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

12. Member
    King Fish - I haven't really pushed it to see top speed. Have got in the low 40's with an aluminum prop. Will go to a SS prop once I figure out what I want. Current prop is 13.5 x 16. Yamaha recommends a 13.125 x 19 SS. High speed is not all that important to me.
    2017 Ranger RT188 w/ Yamaha 115 HP SHO, Peoria AZ

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Roger that...

Fish on!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larry foster View Post
    Does the plate screw in that was removed for the hot foot and is it carpeted behind it? I didn't know they allowed a jack plate but I like it and your boat looks great and rigged out perfect!
    Yes, and yes.

15. Member
    I just purchased. Used 198p with four stroke 150 Merc. First time out I notice that Lowrance showed idle speed between 4.5 and 4.8 mph which felt fast? Any one have numbers to share or an opinion? Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moflyrod View Post
    I just purchased. Used 198p with four stroke 150 Merc. First time out I notice that Lowrance showed idle speed between 4.5 and 4.8 mph which felt fast? Any one have numbers to share or an opinion? Thanks
    I have the same boat but with a 150 Pro XS 2 stroke. 4.5 is normal and not fast. Your idling with a 23 pitch prop or so. It’s going to idle along in that range. Perfectly normal IMO. Allen

17. Member
    Thanks that makes we feel better, the motor seems loud when it shifts, but that is another issue!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12