Lost rpms when changing lower unit (4.75)

I recently had to get a new lower unit due to destroyed gears. I had a smaller 4.25 size lower unit prior with a 24p tempest plus II. I used to be able to turn 5700 rpm and high 50's on my 1990 ranger 482 with 95' 150 xr6. My new Lower unit is a larger gear case (4.75) and using the same prop. Now I can only turn 5100 rpm and max out at 52mph. I know lugging these motors is not good and I believe that's what he m doing The motor runs fine but I would love some suggestions/information on what may have happened. Is it that the prop is too small?, diameter not correct? Too much exhaust escaping? Thanks in advance guys.

2. Member
    Get rid of the 24" Laser II small hub prop and get a 23" tempest plus. A tempest wouldn't fit on the old small gear case and the gears were 2:0. That new case should be a 1:87 gear and you need a 23" prop now.

3. Member
    I have a tempest plus 24p on there now. So dropping one pitch should do the trick? I hear you only gain 200rpms per inch drop...?

4. Member
    Is this the same 24 that you had?
    A tempest is a larger hub that wouldn't fit your small lower unit , you might have had a laser prop is what he is saying ,a smaller hub prop for the old lower units the laser 24 would be like a 22 tempest

5. Member
    You had a 24" laser II not a tempest on the old lower unit. A tempest wouldn't fit the small hub case.