Full moon night fishing

Have not been night fishing in years but gonna go middle of next week for the full moon for a fun trip. Just wondering what lakes have been having the best night bite this year? Thanks in advance, Hosko

2. Member
    I like to fish on the full moon because its easier to navigate at night, but other than a few exceptions I have found the fishing is better a few days before or after. Also, I have found the fishing at night to be better for me around the new moon.

3. Member
    Kentucky lake , 3/4 oz black spinnerbait and a heavy football jig. Main lake points.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 929nitro View Post
    Kentucky lake , 3/4 oz black spinnerbait and a heavy football jig. Main lake points.
    THIS^^^ but I would also throw a square bill. I would not fish SHALLOW.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

5. Banned
    Hate to hijack the thread, but I have to ask - you guys that are having success on the 3/4 oz spinnerbait, how are you working it/fishing it?

I swear the only thing I can catch fish on at night on KY Lake is a 3/4 oz jig on mainlake points and drops. Not complaining, as it's fun with the jig and can usually scratch out a limit, especially when those fat smallmouth are biting good, but everyone talks like the fish just knock the fire out of the spinnerbait and I've yet to catch one on it.

I'm using the Hart Black Hart, black w/red tails color, 3/4 oz, adding a 10" black power worm - I feel like the bait is fine, but maybe just not fishing it the right way?
    http://www.basspro.com/Hart-Tackle-B...ductextensions

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Also, I have found the fishing at night to be better for me around the new moon.
    I concur with this. When I started night fishing, I originally only fished full moon nights for easier navigation and to be able to see a little better - that was a mistake. The darker the night the better the bite has been my experience.

I also learned that if you're going to night fish, don't hit the water until at least an hour or more after sunset - the first hour after sunset is when the bugs are at their worst, seems like they go to bed/go away after that first hour of darkness.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Hate to hijack the thread, but I have to ask - you guys that are having success on the 3/4 oz spinnerbait, how are you working it/fishing it?

I swear the only thing I can catch fish on at night on KY Lake is a 3/4 oz jig on mainlake points and drops. Not complaining, as it's fun with the jig and can usually scratch out a limit, especially when those fat smallmouth are biting good, but everyone talks like the fish just knock the fire out of the spinnerbait and I've yet to catch one on it.

I'm using the Hart Black Hart, black w/red tails color, 3/4 oz, adding a 10" black power worm - I feel like the bait is fine, but maybe just not fishing it the right way?
    Put a trailer on it, and fish it like a jig.

8. Member
    Been coming to ky lake night fishing around new and full moon phases for 10 years. 3 days before and after the moon peaks has worked better for me.lures I throw are spinnerbaits and bladed jigs. SLO rolling and lift/drop retrieves are what I'm doing.
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post

I use a trailer hook but no trailer. I cast it out and reel it in. I fish shallower than most at night.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/avatars/longrodder.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1383747738

10. Member
    Spinnerbait from water edge to 10 ft real slow ticking the rocks. Netbait baby paca craw trailer . Anything deeper I fish the jig or a heavy bladed jig . Some nights they are shallow some nights they are deep and sometimes they are both.

11. Member
    Okay guys, any updates from last weekend? Going Wednesday night to either Green or Rough.
    thanks

12. Member
    Night fishing update: pretty slow night last Wednesday. 5 fish; 2 just keepers, 2 over 3lbs. and a 5.5 all fish came on Ole Monsters in 15-20' Did get to meet a couple nice guys at the ramp. Hope y'all caught them!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hosko n ky View Post
    Night fishing update: pretty slow night last Wednesday. 5 fish; 2 just keepers, 2 over 3lbs. and a 5.5 all fish came on Ole Monsters in 15-20' Did get to meet a couple nice guys at the ramp. Hope y'all caught them!
    Green or Rough?
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

14. Member
    I'm headed down to Ky Lake Sunday for the week going out of Paris hoping to get on a nice night bite since the ledge bite is slow.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos1387 View Post
    I'm headed down to Ky Lake Sunday for the week going out of Paris hoping to get on a nice night bite since the ledge bite is slow.
    Maybe the rain and cooldown early next week will help change things up for the better.

16. Banned
    I'm thinking that fishing on a full moon night is overrated. This last full moon had all kinds of goofballs out at night.

I'll take a new moon night in lieu of a full moon night.