Smallmouth help!!! Going to SML next week.

Hey guys, I know very little about smallmouth fishing. I am heading out Saturday to go to SML for a week and want to see some bronzebacks. Help me out. I was thinking some jerkbaits (colors??), Drop shotting (what type of worm??), and maybe some wacky senko's (colors??) Any help will be much appreciated. Also any better things to look for. I am staying close to the dam. I know of a couple shoals around there, any good??

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    throwin cranks in 15-20 ft on shoals can produce well. find the rocks you will find the smallies. green pumpkin jig too
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Someone replied in the other forum that you posted in that they didn't think SML had a lot of smallies, I don't fish up there but a few times a year but I was always under the impression that they had a very healthy population of smallies?!?!

4. Member
    I last fished SML 5 years ago and over 3 days I caught one nice 3lb smallmouth and about 90 largemouth. The smallmouth was on a huge boulder between some docks, the largemouth were under the docks. Just go fishing and see what happens. I had good luck with watermelon and green pumpkin plastics on a shakey head. If I remember correctly the Aaron's Magic drop shot worm did well as did white/silver/watermelon plastics on the dropshot.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I guess I will give it the best I got.

I will let you all know how I did when I get back.

Thanks again!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    Someone replied in the other forum that you posted in that they didn't think SML had a lot of smallies, I don't fish up there but a few times a year but I was always under the impression that they had a very healthy population of smallies?!?!
    There are a good amount of smallies in sml. Some days thats all i catch

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    There are a good amount of smallies in sml. Some days thats all i catch
    That's what I want to hear!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I guess I will give it the best I got.

I will let you all know how I did when I get back.

Thanks again!!
    How did it go Roger? Im headed there Saturday with the family for a week. I also will be staying near the dam. Its been 20 years since I was last there!

Rick Elrod

9. Member
    i went out yesterday the only ones i caught were hiding in the shadows in docks over deep water on main channels. they would eat spoons on the fall and spinnerbaits pulled really slow under docks

10. Member
    Most Smallies are towards the Dam IMO. Always catch a few down there

11. Member
    We have only caught a couple smallies. And they were very small. My son caught a large mouth about 3-3.5 lb and I caught 1 right at 2.5-2.75 lb. I am staying right at Mitchell point marina. Most of the fish have come near the dam
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Member
    mainly fishing docks down lake this time of year, or more off shore? We go in September, usually down lake, so it's obviously different then, and we struggle.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

13. Member
    They go deep down there because the water is so clear. Standing timber can hold feeesh, can also hold on to your lure haha!

14. Member
    ha. yeah, been there, done that. The trees would look like they've been decorated for the holidays with fishing lures if the lake were ever drained. Got to be a ton of stuff down there.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp