Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is the Mercury platinum warranty a scam

2012 Mercury 250 pro xs
    Sn# 1b885806

I bought this motor brand new in February 2012 and purchased the platinum warranty thinking that I would be covered under normal operating procedures.

I have had the lower unit serviced twice a year with proof the last one being in December 2016. Now fast forward to last

Thursday I take a quick run out and the mirror dies. I get towed back and come to find out the lower unit went out. Ok no problem .......so I thought .......the dealer informes me that the seal went bad which let water in the lower unit and fried the gears .....no fishing line or anything causing fault other than the gasket failing

The dealer then informes me that mercury denied the claim sayin they don't cover seals ...?

How can you deniy the claim for the thing that spins underwater ???

I have done more than the required maintance and now I'm stuck paying for a new lower unit because mercury doesn't offer and or honor a proper warranty

Am I wrong ??

2. Member
    Mercury Platinum has covered every issue I have had......new compressor, new water jacket cover, new powerhead, new injector......

3. Member
    Correct but how can you not cover a gasket that is under water that is check 2 times a year that requires no scheduled maintance or replacement

4. Member
    Never owned an outboard with warranty but, as expensive as the platinum is I would be very upset also.

Mechanical or electrical only is covered. Mercury covered their butt.

You throw a rod through the block..its covered.

Seal goes out and destroys your LU...nope.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Mechanical or electrical only is covered. Mercury covered their butt.

You throw a rod through the block..its covered.

Seal goes out and destroys your LU...nope.
    I understand that may be however The spirt of the way the warrenty is sold to us consumers is everything is covered.

7. Member
    The problem is, the seal is a user-maintained expendable. Just like plugs, filters, etc. If the L/U failed due to something other than the seal, you'd have been good. They expect YOU to maintain the seal and check the fluid regularly, which prevents this.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarman View Post
    I understand that may be however The spirt of the way the warrenty is sold to us consumers is everything is covered.
    Technically, this wouldn't be covered under Mercury's original warranty either. Now, had this happened in the first few weeks of in-service, Mercury would most likely cover it...after that, its a crap shoot.

It somewhat depends on how its delivered to claims by the servicing technician.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Technically, this wouldn't be covered under Mercury's original warranty either. Now, had this happened in the first few weeks of in-service, Mercury would most likely cover it...after that, its a crap shoot.

It somewhat depends on how its delivered to claims by the servicing technician.
    According to the mercury rep gaskets carry a two year warrenty.

Also the dealership that Submitted And handled the claim is the #1 place to go to for this type of thing at lake of the ozarks they did everything they could.

I don't give a rats ass if a $10 seal goes bad with no indication of fishing line or anything around it and my expensive platinum warranty doesn't cover a $3500-$4000 lower unit I'd be pissed also. And if so what is the maintenance schedule I'm replacing lower unit seals I've only heard of replacing water pump and gear lube and a gentleman that made this post has had his lower unit maintained by a local dealer and has kept up on all his maintenance so now is it the dealers fault for not telling him that he needs to look forward to replacing seals in the lower unit
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougarman View Post
    Where did you get that idea? If anyone affiliated with Mercury or a Mercury dealer told you that, it is what is referred to as "puffing". Like when the used car dealer says a car being sold was only driven on Sundays by a little old lady on her way to and from the Piggly Wiggly. It means nothing.

What is covered is as stated in the warranty or the extended service contract. Nothing more or nothing less. The Platinum protection plan covers defects in materials or workmanship. A seal failing due to normal wear and tear (perfectly good stuff just wears out over time) is not a defective part that is covered by the plan.

I try and try to encourage folks to read and understand their warranties and protection plans. Too boring. Won't happen. Then folks are surprised and disappointed when they discover the truth.

Sorry for you loss but you are not being screwed by Mercury Marine. They tend to err on the side of the consumer if and when a call is borderline.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfarm View Post
    I don't give a rats ass if a $10 seal goes bad with no indication of fishing line or anything around it and my expensive platinum warranty doesn't cover a $3500-$4000 lower unit I'd be pissed also. And if so what is the maintenance schedule I'm replacing lower unit seals I've only heard of replacing water pump and gear lube and a gentleman that made this post has had his lower unit maintained by a local dealer and has kept up on all his maintenance so now is it the dealers fault for not telling him that he needs to look forward to replacing seals in the lower unit
    If an expensive part breaks you have a right to be pissed. I would be too. Not that a repair was not covered however, but because bad sh1t happened. It sucks but that is life.

I could not be pissed at Mercury because their warranty and service contract only covers defects in materials and workmanship. An old tired seal with time on it failing does not mean that it was defective. It simply wore out and failed. Not only are worn out seals not covered, they are usually specifically excluded.

Read the warranty, read the warranty, read the warranty.

13. Member
    Still don't make it right maybe Mercury should make you and the dealer that sells you the engine new go over what is covered and both parties sign a letter that goes back to Mercury that way everybody is on the same page

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    If an expensive part breaks you have a right to be pissed. I would be too. Not that a repair was not covered however, but because bad sh1t happened. It sucks but that is life.

I could not be pissed at Mercury because their warranty and service contract only covers defects in materials and workmanship. An old tired seal with time on it failing does not mean that it was defective. It simply wore out and failed. Not only are worn out seals not covered, they are usually specifically excluded.

Read the warranty, read the warranty, read the warranty.
    I understand the point you're making however the part that failed requires no maintenance and no schedule replacement

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    Still don't make it right maybe Mercury should make you and the dealer that sells you the engine new go over what is covered and both parties sign a letter that goes back to Mercury that way everybody is on the same page
    I agree with you 100% that's a major thing not to cover that should be spelled out to the consumer. The way that every consumer buys the protection plan thanks they're covered but you're really not

If that part needs to be replaced at a given interval, that should be spelled out in scheduled maintenance. If its not part of recommended maintenance they should cover it.

17. Member
    that's why everybody is going to yammies , mercury better wake the hell up !!!!

18. Banned
    Yamaha's (and all of the other engine makers) warranty and extended service agreements are the same.

All that we as consumers can do is to read the documents so that we know precisely what is and what is not covered. And when. And why.

Don't assume. You know the rest.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    If that part needs to be replaced at a given interval, that should be spelled out in scheduled maintenance. If its not part of recommended maintenance they should cover it.
    What if some fishing line gets wrapped around the propeller shaft. That line damages the seal. Not immediately noticeable but after a short while it shows up. The line gets dissolved, destroyed or otherwise departs the premises. The seal fails and allows water into the gear case. The water destroys the gear case. Is this Mercury Marine's fault?

20. Member
    Not saying one engine is better than the other they all have problems just think as much as one cost they all could make sure the consumer knows what they will and won't cover and why just my opinion

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast