Thread: Deep cranking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deep cranking

I have been losing a lot of fish cranking this summer, capped of by 2 solid fish on back to back casts yesterday. My current set up is a 7'11 MH cumara reaction rod, curado 200e5 and 10-12# FC. I think the rod is my problem, for a graphite rod I can't feel anything or than the bait digging into the bottom. It is also more of a fast action and than a moderate. Anyone, have any tips? I know you can't catch them all, but I am losing significantly more fish than I am catching. If I buy a new rod, I want something that will handle any bait from DD22 to a 10xd, suggestions?

2. Member
    Perhaps try braid + fluoro leader and a composite glass/graphite or S Glass rod.

I had a 7'11" MH XF reaction Cumara as well back in the day and loved the way it loaded and casted, I didn't ever use it for anything but lipless rattlebaits and larger topwaters so I never thought it lacked sensitivity.

Good luck

Well, I use a Duckett 7'11" MH Micro Magic Pro cranking rod. Before that I used a BPS 7'11" MH Crankin Stix. I still use it some actually. Are you losing fish as in the come off the hook or breaking line? If they are just coming off, try backing off your drag. I keep mine pretty light and even a 2.5 to 3 pounder can pull like. I use a MH 7'6" Carbonlite for lipless cranks so I can rip it out of grass and I lost fish on it until I backed the drag off. Alos, try to keep the fish from jumping as much as you can. If he starts to come up stick the rod tip down in the water to try to counter it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    I will try backing the drag off, but I usually keep it pretty lose on all of my reels. Some have come off from jumping, and that is to be expected but most just seem to pull off.

Sounds like your rod is too stiff to me. Anytime I've had issues losing fish on a crankbait (more than usual, anyhow) it's been because I was either trying to fish it on braid with a leader due to not having a reel spooled up with mono or straight fluoro, or because I was fishing it on a rod that was too stiff.

That is unless you feel like the hooks aren't being set? The fact that you said your rod is more of a faster action leads me to believe this is the problem.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

And some times chit happens and we loose fish. I rarely lose fish but I lost several at my last tournament. It was frustrating but that just how it goes some times.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Sounds like your rod is too stiff to me. Anytime I've had issues losing fish on a crankbait (more than usual, anyhow) it's been because I was either trying to fish it on braid with a leader due to not having a reel spooled up with mono or straight fluoro, or because I was fishing it on a rod that was too stiff.

That is unless you feel like the hooks aren't being set? The fact that you said your rod is more of a faster action leads me to believe this is the problem.
    I don't want to crank with braid. I prefer FC. I think the rod is the problem though. I don't have any problems losing fish on my other cranking rods. They are all more parabolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I don't want to crank with braid. I prefer FC. I think the rod is the problem though. I don't have any problems losing fish on my other cranking rods. They are all more parabolic.
    FWIW, I don't have trouble with losing fish in lipless crankbaits on my MH Carbonlite and it is not a parabolic rod. But, like I and someone else mentioned, I keep the drag dialed back. So when a fish wants to make a run he can and doesn't put excessive pressure on the line and\or try to fight against it more. When they start shaking that head or try to jump to get the hook out is when you have issues. If they can make a steady pull they seem less prone to getting off.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Sounds like your setup is underpowered if your using those big baits.

Sorry...but I tend to lean the other way with crankbaits compared to most. Use a more stout rod. Faster reel. And tighten your drag.

Fish are tossing your bait because YOU are not getting the hooks through bone. Set the hook! You are using a big lure with a lot of resistance. You're also dealing with a lure a fish can bite down on. In the end, you have little power near the end of a long cast.

Don't believe me. Get your buddy to hold your setup, walk out 40 yards of line and have him pull on it. You'll be suprised how little power transfers all the way to the lure.

I know this may seem unbelievable, but I rarely lose crankbait fish. Use to...but long ago I figured out it's best to use force...not finesse.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    FWIW, I don't have trouble with losing fish in lipless crankbaits on my MH Carbonlite and it is not a parabolic rod. But, like I and someone else mentioned, I keep the drag dialed back. So when a fish wants to make a run he can and doesn't put excessive pressure on the line and\or try to fight against it more. When they start shaking that head or try to jump to get the hook out is when you have issues. If they can make a steady pull they seem less prone to getting off.
    I don't have that problem either, I like a stiffer rod for lipless.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    Sounds like your setup is underpowered if your using those big baits.

Sorry...but I tend to lean the other way with crankbaits compared to most. Use a more stout rod. Faster reel. And tighten your drag.

Fish are tossing your bait because YOU are not getting the hooks through bone. Set the hook! You are using a big lure with a lot of resistance. You're also dealing with a lure a fish can bite down on. In the end, you have little power near the end of a long cast.

Don't believe me. Get your buddy to hold your setup, walk out 40 yards of line and have him pull on it. You'll be suprised how little power transfers all the way to the lure.

I know this may seem unbelievable, but I rarely lose crankbait fish. Use to...but long ago I figured out it's best to use force...not finesse.
    I think the rod is the problem, but its not underpowered. It's just not the right action.

12. Member
    Dobyns 806CB sounds like the deal for you, or something similar. Good backbone, but moderate action allows to fight the fish better. On the larger crankbaits I generally throw 14-15# test and do horse them as much as I can get away with. They are big baits and fairly easy to throw. If you need to throw 10-12# to get the depth you want, then that will be a little more challenging but the rod will help. Hooks are probably the most important thing here. I follow KVDs advice and use the biggest EWG treble I can fit on a bait. With lighter line, a standard wire hook might be better than the 2x style. Stick with Flouro or braid to flouro leader.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Dobyns 806CB sounds like the deal for you, or something similar. Good backbone, but moderate action allows to fight the fish better. On the larger crankbaits I generally throw 14-15# test and do horse them as much as I can get away with. They are big baits and fairly easy to throw. If you need to throw 10-12# to get the depth you want, then that will be a little more challenging but the rod will help. Hooks are probably the most important thing here. I follow KVDs advice and use the biggest EWG treble I can fit on a bait. With lighter line, a standard wire hook might be better than the 2x style. Stick with Flouro or braid to flouro leader.
    I called the tackle trap this morning. They recommended the 805 because it will be better for what I throw normally, but can handle a 10xd, when I need to throw it (which isn't often).

14. Member
    I have no experience with 8ft rods, but I have both 705 and 706 composite CB Champions. They are very nice rods. The 5 power is versatile, but a little weak with big baits. If it's a rod for deep diving plugs and nothing else, the 6 power might be better. It would be for me anyhow.

15. Member
    I run a 805RMCB and love it for 5xd and 6xd. I haven't thrown a 10 on it but it solved the same issues for me.

16. Member
    I have an 806 and you don't want that. It's now my A-rig rod after throwing some huge baits on it and finding out how strong it really is. I really like the glass rod that St. Croix makes but it doesn't have enough backbone for what you want in my opinion. I use all regular 1x owner hooks on all my cranks, except the ZBoss series and after having the different "cranking" St. Croix rods, the "cranking" Duckett rods, and "cranking" Dobyns I tried KVD's Ross for cranking and absolutely love them. It won't sound like it when I tell you the foam handles get chewed up easier with the cranks on the reels, the shorter handles, and the lack of feel you have with them, but for cranking(and I along with my dad do a LOT of) there isn't a better rod out there for casting/hooking/handling the fish. I'm not typically a Quantum fan except for some of their old Energy spinning reels, but these rods are the exception after going through far too many rods to find what I was looking for. I'm not sure you can get one to do it all but depends how often you use the 10XD really. I have a 7'11" heavy just for it and the Zboss 25, as well as the 7'10" medium heavy for 5 and 6XD's it literally is like it was made for those two. Only crankbait I use my 806 Dobyns for is the Skeet Reese plug that dwarfs a 10XD. Also have the 7'4" medium and medium heavy for lighter stuff from Quantum. Again, only for crankbaits but for that they are great.

17. Member
    Also, I don't hold my rod to the side like I see a lot of people do when cranking. I will hold it at most around the 1 o'clock mark if I'm trying to feel what's down there but if I know the area I'll almost point directly at the bait and if it loads up, I have a full sweep I can make to get the hooks in good. I've seen plenty of people fishing with me lose fish because they never get good hooksets in because their rod was held off to the side with nowhere to go. Just a thought.

18. Member
    I followed supermat's advice and went with an 805 cb rm. Since he does it for a living, I would guess he knows more about it than most. Tacticalbassin on YouTube. I think it's more personal preference on how rods feel anyway. Some like slower rods while others prefer faster ones for the same techniques.

19. Member
    I would suggest upgrading your hooks too.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter24 View Post
    I followed supermat's advice and went with an 805 cb rm. Since he does it for a living, I would guess he knows more about it than most.
    He also uses braid with it. That will be a completely different animal than fluorocarbon and especially mono.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast