2005 Merc 200 EFI sparkplugs

I recently purchased a 2005 Mercury 200 EFI outboard and I'm seeing some different recommendations on sparkplugs. I am ordering the service manual but, while I wait, does anyone know the proper plugs for this outboard? My serial is 1B104613.

Mercury parts calls for NGK BPZ8HS-10
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

3. Member
    ok thanks. I saw others talking about the Champion plugs but I believe those are for the 3.0L.

thanks again.

you need the resistor plugs,on them,or they run like crap,there is no good substitute for the NGK's,for the motorola electric system

5. Member
    Appreciate the input!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    Mercury parts calls for NGK BPZ8HS-10
    +1

The other plug you were seeing is for 3L models (a completely different engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you, sir! And BTW, I reached out to Rhonda via email to upgrade my fuel lines to EPA approved - I just need to send her the actual measurements of my existing lines. I just bought a boat with this motor, an upgrade from my '92 Johnson...

I plan on using the quickleen/quickare cocktail, is there any other tips I should employ to keep this particular outboard in great shape?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Full maintenance Once per Year, or every 100 Hours, whichever occurs FIRST.

The following link was written for Optimax Models- simply ignore references to the Air Compressor, Compressor Filter, or Compressor Strainer (most everything else applies):

Recommended Annual Maintenance

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor