Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live well losing all water on plane

Posting for a friend.

He is losing all his water in the livewells while making a 10 to 15 mile run. I know some water will get lost without plugging the top overflow holes but he's losing all his water.

Any idea as to why this is happening. It's a 2016 19 footer. Not sure the model though.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

2. Member
    His plug in the bottom of his well is either lose or out

Yep it's commin out of the bottom...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

I told him to check it. Thanks

5. Member

Where did the water go?

I posted same problem. The water goes out the top seams I think. Plugged bottom holes, still lose water. I think I'll use silicone around the top next. Any thoughts?

6. Member
    I also plugged the overflow holes and still lost 3/4 of the water.

7. Banned
    probably going in the bilge. Throw a shop light in the bilge and then stick your head in the livewell. Look for light bleed around the top and silicone those areas. At least that's what I had to do or I'd lose 3/4 of the water on long runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    probably going in the bilge. Throw a shop light in the bilge and then stick your head in the livewell. Look for light bleed around the top and silicone those areas. At least that's what I had to do or I'd lose 3/4 of the water on long runs.
    He tried that and said his bilge was dry.

9. Member
    Is he running in re-circulate? On my 19xs re-circulate drained the live well while on plane. You cannot run the aerator when on plane (input is out of the water); so I run nothing at all when on plane. Water level stays put.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

10. Member
    Are you talking about the in-flow being on or the recirculate that is self-contained in the tank?

11. Member
    Its not the recirculate pump........recirculate pump takes water from the bottom of the livewell, and discharges (recirculates) it out the top of the livewell, so there is no connection for the water to exit the livewell

12. Member
    Is it pumping out instead of recirculating?

13. Member
    Savage, I know what recirculate should do; however, I also know with my 19XS if I run recirculate while on plane my live wells go empty. Nothing coming out of the pump out holes either when in recirculate for my boat. I never really bothered to look as to why, but my boat does this. I am guessing something is hooked up incorrectly in the lines causing it to drain out of the intakes.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

14. Member
    OK, problem solved for my boat and possibly your friends. As Savage stated "recirculate pump takes water from the bottom of the livewell, and discharges (recirculates) it out the top of the livewell"; and he is correct. However, in my Triton the top of the livewell outputs do not have diverters. Also, the top of the livewell outputs are almost directly opposite the overflow drains. So, when I turn on recirculate, water is taken from the bottom of the livewell to the top of the livewell and then discharged almost directly into the overflow drains. Solution, two female threaded 30 degree PVC elbows. Off to the store tomorrow to purchase.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

15. Member
    I use re-circulate exclusively (Over flow port plugged) and have never lost ANY water while running. 90% of the time this issue is caused by water going out the OVERFLOW PORT.

if re-circulate mode doesn't empty the livewell while sitting, that should tell you that water can't escape while running. There is no connection to the outside of the boat from the recirculation pump.

If you don't block the overflow port you will lose water while running EVERY TIME, but you cant use the LIVEWELL mode with the overflow port plugged or you will flood the boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I use re-circulate exclusively (Over flow port plugged) and have never lost ANY water while running. 90% of the time this issue is caused by water going out the OVERFLOW PORT.

if re-circulate mode doesn't empty the livewell while sitting, that should tell you that water can't escape while running. There is no connection to the outside of the boat from the recirculation pump.

If you don't block the overflow port you will lose water while running EVERY TIME, but you cant use the LIVEWELL mode with the overflow port plugged or you will flood the boat.
    Savage, just tested in the driveway. My top recirculate fittings are almost directly across from my overflow holes. Turned recirculate on and water poured into my driveway from the overflow holes. Two possible solutions, plug the overflow holes (they are at least 2 inches in diameter) or buy diverters for the recirculate fittings so they do not shoot the water directly into the overflow holes. Understanding if I do not plug the overflow holes I will lose some water while on plane, but not all of it.

For anyone interested, the size of the elbows needed to act as diverters are 3/4" 14 Thread female.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Basser View Post
    Is he running in re-circulate? On my 19xs re-circulate drained the live well while on plane. You cannot run the aerator when on plane (input is out of the water); so I run nothing at all when on plane. Water level stays put.
    I run recirculate every time I start the outboard. I've never lost any water doing that. If you do, something is wrong. Recirculate should, well, recirculate the water in the wells. That means it pumps it out and right back in. That serves to agitate the water to help aerate it. And I think most Tritons will have the ports that suck in air as well. Mine does anyway. Recirculate does not pull water in from the lake.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Basser View Post
    Savage, just tested in the driveway. My top recirculate fittings are almost directly across from my overflow holes. Turned recirculate on and water poured into my driveway from the overflow holes. Two possible solutions, plug the overflow holes (they are at least 2 inches in diameter) or buy diverters for the recirculate fittings so they do not shoot the water directly into the overflow holes. Understanding if I do not plug the overflow holes I will lose some water while on plane, but not all of it.

For anyone interested, the size of the elbows needed to act as diverters are 3/4" 14 Thread female.
    well, that's weird. Yeah, I'd get something to divert the recirc outlet so it's not shooting water directly at the overflow holes. Don't plug the overflow holes, that's bad juju just asking for trouble.

19. Member
    If you Add Ice to the LIVEWELL, and Use RECIRCULATE mode, then you have to plug the Overflow or you will LOSE water while running.

Update...He said he plugged his overflows and it held about 1/3 level after a 15 mile trip so thats better than empty. Of course he forgot about them and almost flooded his boat later though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast