Thread: set-up help

New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

set-up help

I'm running a 1990 Ranger 374V no jackplate and the prop to pad is 4.25" I'm turning a 24Raker at about 5500rpms and top speed varies with conditions and water temp from 55 to 59mph , I also have a 27 Shooter that I'm turning at about 54 to 5500 rpms at 55mph great hole shot but top end isn't that good , the water temp is now getting into the 80's and my holeshot with the raker is poor but I like the bow lift it has once it's on plane would a foil help this and which do you recomend if any ,I'm also playing with the PVS holes in my raker thanks I know it isn't going to break any records but like it to run at it's best as it can
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    what motor?

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    150hp johnson fastrike sorry about that

4. Pat Goff
    We had lots of discussion a couple of years ago.
    There's nothing different you're still doing the exact same thing and asking for different results.

Until you mount a jack plate and get that raker worked on, short of a nitrous bottle there's nothing to do.

Excuse the bluntness but it's the truth.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    A foil will help it get on plane, but will do zero for top speed.

I think if you are turning a 24 Raker 5500 rpm with a onefiddy that ain't bad. What's this about playing with the vent holes? Rakers don't have adjustable plugs. If yours does someone put them in and probably did other work to it. You should try to find a new loaner 22 pitch Raker II with TBX hub, a Turbo TXP 21 with PVS holes, I'd even try a 22 High Five for that heavy a boat...good luck.

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Pat I'm sorry but I'm satisfied the way it runs but when the weather gets hot it just needs a little help yes the PVS hopes were added and it was worked over by mark croxton it performs well for what she is I guess just curious if the foil would help last night alone water temp was 80 I turned 5500rpms and 57.5 with both tanks at 3/4 and all my tackle
    Last edited by twitch; 07-10-2017 at 09:44 AM.

8. Pat Goff
    Answered you pm. This is for the fifty lurkers out there.
    Get a smaller prop. If you run that 24 when it's cold then get a 22 when it's hot. Non efi motors will be effected more than a fuel injected. Air is less dense and you will need to compensate by smaller prop pitch. We do it here it's normal.

Way better results than sticking a wingy thing on it.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Member
    A foil always helps holeshot, might need to drop pitch and add one to get best results but it will help.

Dont get one of the cheap plastic ones get a good aluminum or stainless one from CB Marine or b-man. Both are on here and make quality products that you will not be dissapointed with.

Agreed with 90 5.0. When people hear about putting a foil on a bass boat all they think of is the big ugly foils meanwhile they have no clue about what Chris Bailey makes as a foil. Hands down it is beautiful and awesome workmanship. CB Marine (Chris Bailey) is located on the Stroker page and thats whats these foils started on is all the go fast boats that wanted to run a big prop for top end and still have there holeshot. Then they just got so popular all makes of bassboats are using them now. Not to sound big headed about it but I think I was the first Ranger on the Ranger board to use it and posted my results and now the board moderator Ghost Comanche runs one and a bunch of other Ranger guys
    Last edited by fishfarm; 07-07-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade