Fishing Lake Martin

Anybody fish Lake Martin. Looking at lake homes there but have
    no idea about the fishery any advice will be greatly appreciated

2. Member
    It's a great place to fish during the fall, winter and early spring. During the summertime the lake will be swamped with sea doo, ski boats, pleasure and pontoons. They usually lower the lake after Labor Day about 5 to 7 feet. Mostly spotted bass but largemouth are caught also. I'm not sure about the Crappie fishing, I'm sure they are there. The water is real clear. There are other lakes close by also.

Nice place to catch spotted bass but they are usually 1.5 lbs and smaller. Some large mouth are caught but very limited areas, The striper fishing is suppose to be great at times but I don't target them and have only caught a few in the spring or fall. Summer time the lake is very much used by the pleasure boaters, ski-doo's and pontoon boats.

4. Member
    Boy are u guys correct. Went up and looked at some houses on July 4th
    boat traffic looked like rush hour in New York City, and people everywhere
    moving my search elsewhere. Thanks for your replies

5. Member
    Bama jim, Don't let the 4th of July run you off. Three days a year the lake is like that- Memorial day, 4th of July and Labor day, the rest of the year the you pretty much have the place to yourself- its a very large beautiful lake.- JP

6. Member
    Bama jim, I really think you are gonna find lots of boat traffic on all lakes. We fish Martin, Wedowee, Logan Martin and Lay. Believe me, they get boat traffic just like Martin. I really believe you will have a hard time finding a place that compares to Martin as far as clean and beautiful. If it wasn't for travel miles, my wife and I would be there now. Give it another chance.
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

7. Member
    You could say I'm a fan of Martin

Fishing was awesome last spring, and 10-15 fish days were common, or more if you got into the schoolies. Took a bit to find them though. One area that got destroyed by a front on tourney day was holding so many 2-4 pounders it was ridiculous. You would get a bite every 10 yards.

We targeted largemouth by going shallow with crankbaits
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

8. Member
    Might look at lake Jordan, it's not as popular as Martin to the skiers. It has bigger fish but not as many and they are harder to catch. I live on Jordan and love to fish Martin also during the off season when most of the pontoons, jet skis and skiers are gone.