Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blackmax 150 xr2

Is there a regulatir or a rectifier only?

My tachometer works. Does that mean recifier is ok or is this just a sometimes symptom of bad rectifier...

I hooked up battery backwards the ither day.. And now battery maintains a 12.5v at all times. Does not increase with rpms...

Does speedometer have anything to do with rectifier. My speedometer doea not work but tach does.. I think speedometer tube is clogged...

2nd problem:
    Solinoid- engines been geeting worst on cranking... I turn key and click... Turn key click... Turn key click.. But sometimes even first turn, it fires off fine.. Got power on small yellow wire when key to start posituon.. power on big wire going to starter from solinoid- no power in srart position when i here click.. And i have power going to solinoid at all times .. Im 90% sure its solinoid but 2nd guessing myself.. I donno why...lol

2. Member
    Tested rectifier. It was bad... Now this rectifier is an offbrand, and according to ebay ita only rated up to 115hp.. I have a 150hp.. Does it matter? How would i find the correct one? My serial number is i think to my old motor before it was revuilt. I had a XR4 but its a XR2 now... I believ it is a blackmax 150 xr2 1988 model.. But the parts list doesnt show.. Also, this rectifier is it regulated or not? HELP...lol serial 0C293001 is whats on my transom but i think this refers to before a guy rebuilt it..

3. Member

4. Member

5. Member
    Varo 353 8409 is whats on the back of the rectifier...

6. Member
    XR-2 should have a regulator not a rectifier as I remeber.

Take the flywheel cover off and see if the flywheel is green. Post pic and pic from rear of engine. Regulators should be there. Iirc.

Need to go pop the cowl off mine and look haven't messed with it in ages

7. Member
    From the second picture you posted, the engine appears to have the pre 1984 2-piece cylinder heads. If that's the case, it would be a rectifier only motor. The original Mercury part # for that rectifier would be A-62351A1. Mercury used that rectifier on a lot of late '70's to late '80's 2.0 & 2.4 motors. There are updated part #'s superseding the above # that will include 62351 in the #. Those rectifiers will also work on your motor. Check the build date of the motor located on the port side of the motor where the 2 block halves meet near the base of the # 2 cylinder to help identify it. Posting a picture of the back of the motor like 90 5.0 stated will also help identify it. Also the serial # for the actual power head you have should be located on a welch plug (freeze plug looking item) on the top rear of the block.

8. Member
    Is it safe running a rectifier only motir with my fishfinders? I worry about frying them... They have inline fuse but will that protect them?

9. Member
    I dont have any pics of back right now... I xan get them later... I know the date on starter is 2-21-84.. Wow.. Its a good starter...lol.. Anyhow, im in a discussion with someone that says the briggs stratton tractor 16amp rectifier/regulator will work on this engin and will protect against spikes... Any thoughts... Im nervous but dont know anything about tgis kind of stuff...

10. Member
    I have run a '84 150hp rectifier only motor since 1984 and have never had any problems with my electronics being cooked. My understanding is that the battery itself absorbs any voltage spikes. Never run sealed or maintenance free batteries on a rectifier only motor. Only run flooded wet cell lead acid batteries and check the water level frequently. The battery itself functions as the regulator by absorbing the heat of voltage fluctuations and will cause the water in the battery to evaporate slowly. A rectifier only motor will ruin a maintenance free sealed battery. Keep us posted on the Briggs Stratton rectifier/regulator, I would be interested in how that works also!

11. Member
    Ive got the duralast 27dp dual purpise.. I believe it has the covers to add water... I will have to dbl check when i get hone this eevening... I probably wont go briggs startton, im a little nervous about trying new things..lol

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    From the second picture you posted, the engine appears to have the pre 1984 2-piece cylinder heads. If that's the case, it would be a rectifier only motor. The original Mercury part # for that rectifier would be A-62351A1. Mercury used that rectifier on a lot of late '70's to late '80's 2.0 & 2.4 motors. There are updated part #'s superseding the above # that will include 62351 in the #. Those rectifiers will also work on your motor. Check the build date of the motor located on the port side of the motor where the 2 block halves meet near the base of the # 2 cylinder to help identify it. Posting a picture of the back of the motor like 90 5.0 stated will also help identify it. Also the serial # for the actual power head you have should be located on a welch plug (freeze plug looking item) on the top rear of the block.
    My xr-2 came with 2piece heads it's an 87. I don't think the one piece head came out till 89 or 90

as for unregulated and frying batteries I've not had that issue on my rectifier only motors but they had a good draw on them( electronics used almost all the 16amp and on some rigs my electronics used more)

i really need to go lift the cowl on dads XR-2 again I haven't jacked with it in forever. I thought it had a regulator from factory though on the backside like the later model 2.4's etc.

my 83 2.4 200 is 16 amp, rectifier only with the green 16amp light weight flywheel.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    My xr-2 came with 2piece heads it's an 87. I don't think the one piece head came out till 89 or 90

as for unregulated and frying batteries I've not had that issue on my rectifier only motors but they had a good draw on them( electronics used almost all the 16amp and on some rigs my electronics used more)

i really need to go lift the cowl on dads XR-2 again I haven't jacked with it in forever. I thought it had a regulator from factory though on the backside like the later model 2.4's etc.

my 83 2.4 200 is 16 amp, rectifier only with the green 16amp light weight flywheel.

I think the appearance of the 2-piece heads changed in 1984, and they continued being 2-piece until the late '80's like you said. I think the appearance and design changed in'84 when the head bolt bosses were no longer on the sides of the cylinders.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    I think the appearance of the 2-piece heads changed in 1984, and they continued being 2-piece until the late '80's like you said. I think the appearance and design changed in'84 when the head bolt bosses were no longer on the sides of the cylinders.
    The really early 2.0l motors had a different bolt pattern, indont remeber the cut off for that. The 2.4's and 2.0's had the same bolt pattern on two piece but I don't know what year the change in the 2.0 to the new bolt pattern was I thought it was pre 78

15. Member

16. Member
    Ok.. I looked all around freeze plug on top rear for another serial number... Cant find... I looked all around port side and cylinder 2 for year... No luck... Im sure i am overlooking it but i looked and looked.. Heres sone pics of back and portside.. I must be crazy, is that a regulator on top portside? Never noticed it before...lol

17. Member
    Ok, much clearer. The heads are the later style 2-piece heads that I think came on the 1984 & later 2.0 & 2.4 blocks. My Mercury factory service manual goes up to 1988 for 2.0 & 2.4 150hp -200hp motors including the xr2 and shows only rectifiers being used on the charging system of those motors (no regulators). The component mounted over the port side cylinder head on the block is the idle stabilizer. The welch plug with the serial # should be located on the block under the idle stabilizer. The same Mercury part # listed above for the rectifier applies to your motor as well.

18. Member
    Awesome.. Gonna gonna go and try to find it when voat places open up in the am.. Been a long 4 day weekend waiting to go fiahing...lol... Appreciate the help.. If thwy dont have it, i may try the tractor one.. But i dont think im ballzy enough to do... Thanks!!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    arent green flywheels 9amp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast