IF THERE'S NOT SMOKE IT AIN'T BBQ!!!

Smoked up 32 pounds of pig yesterday. Wound up being my longest smoke yet. Last picnic shoulder to hit finished temp of 205 internal took 21.5 hours.

I did two 2lb boneless shoulders and two 12lb bone in picnic shoulders.

I started the smoke at 5:00 PM Saturday evening and the last one finished at 1:45 Sunday afternoon.

I experimented with them and smoked two, then Texas Crutched them. and they were done after about 17 hours. The other two were just left in the smoker till done.

I could not tell much of a difference in quality between the two methods with the exception of time and the ones that were Texas Crutched the bark was softer than the ones that were just left in the smoke whose bark had a little crispness. I will say that I am favoring the bone-in butts in the future because they seemed to me to have a little better flavor and moistness than the boneless ones. Just my personal opinion though.

Here they are all rubbed down with my favorite pork rub and they slept in the fridge for about 8 hours before going on the smoker.

Here they are going into the smoker at 5:00 PM on Saturday evening.

Here is what they looked like at 5:00 Sunday morning after 12 hours under heavy smoke:

This was the last butt to come out of the smoke after 21.5 hours. I was starting to pull itself apart while I was getting it out of the smoker.

All were moist juicy and delicious. The family dinner with guests complimented the pulled pork with three different coleslaws, three different bbq sauces (my homemade bourbon and brown sugar recipe sauce disappeared and I had to give the recipe away), bulky rolls, cornbread, a baby cucumber and tomato salad with feta cheese, cold macaroni salad. Desert was brownies with two ice creams and hot fudge sauce. All in all a great 4th of July meal shared with family and friend. Everyone went home with big doggie bags!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

Dang! Nicely done.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member

4. Banned
    Sounds as if you really did right on the barbecue. How much beer did it take to cook 21 hours? That's sure low and slow. Those whole shoulders with the skin are really the way to go.

Our son in law from Memphis brought in a bunch of Q that he won 4th place (out of over 200 entrants) at Memphis in May--the Superbowl of BBQ. We're proud of him. His pork comes out of small Wisconsin pig farm--custom raised for barbecue.

When you develop a really good sauce, keep the demand high and the supply low. Don't give out your recipe.

5. Member
    They look mouthwatering! What is Texas Crutched? You mentioned heavy smoke....what wood? My favorite is pecan...but lighter on the smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    They look mouthwatering! What is Texas Crutched? You mentioned heavy smoke....what wood? My favorite is pecan...but lighter on the smoke.
    Wrapped in foil at the stall.

What kind of smoker do you have?

8. Member
    I have a bge large...

9. Member
    with that amount of meat..you must have a bigger one or a different style smoker..maybe smoker only style...whatever you have did a fantastic job!

10. Member

11. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    Wrapped in foil at the stall.
    Yes. and it speeds up the cooking.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

12. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteBite6855 View Post
    What kind of smoker do you have?
    REC TEC 680.

Quote Originally Posted by DA TOAD View Post
    REC TEC 680.

I love the RecTec. Best grill ever. It does everything.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. Member
    I've heard really good things about it as well....love my egg though...if I were to invest into an additional smoker it would be a RecTec for sure...