Looking at buying an Alabama boat

I am wondering what the registration requirements are on a boat from your state. The person paid cash for the boat,motor,& trailer and they say that Alabama does not issue titles. How is the boat registered with the state for the numbers? Is there a tag for the trailer? Any help would be welcomed.

2. Member
    There is not tag requirement for the trailer and Alabama does not title boats.

3. Banned
    Boats are registered/licensed in the same offices that issue auto tags and titles. Alabama not a title state, and boat trailers are also untitled and unlicensed.

You might want to check with your state's licensing authority to see what you need to meet your state's regulations. If someone was wanting to buy my boat, I could provide them with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin and bill of sale on both the trailer and boat--since I bought it new. You might ask the seller if he by chance has them from his original sale.

It's nice having a state that doesn't have a personal property tax on boats, and with a very low 2.25% sales tax on initial boat purchases. That saves a great deal for those on our lake with their 80-127 foot yachts. And to think Alabama as a state is slap broke--and in need of so many capital projects like prisons and roads.

Thanks for all the responses. NC titles everything now.

If you are registering the boat in the state of Alabama you will also have to have boat operator licenses

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

6. Member
    The seller (Alabama boat) should give you the registration receipt what we commonly call a tag receipt for the boat, and the motor will be listed on that receipt. Then a bill of sale mentioning boat VIN and serial number of motor. I would request a separate bill of sale for the trailer with the VIN on that bill of sale. That is about all an Alabama resident can give you. If bought new he might have certificate of origin for both trailer and boat.

Registration receipt is all there is. Seller should make up a bill of sale that has the needed information to get the boat registered/titled in YOUR state. That may mean separating boat price, motor price, and trailer price, with the VIN numbers of all three. It can all be contained in ONE bill of sale. I would also get all the paperwork that is available if the owner bought it new.

You will pay sales tax in your state when you register the package.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    I received a title with my boat and trailer. Alabama doesn't require them so my bank just kept the title for later in case I sell my boat and the person needs it.
    2012 Stratos 189 VLo Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bzwildman81/

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    If you are registering the boat in the state of Alabama you will also have to have boat operator licenses

Never had to show mine.
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

10. Member
    Went this morning and got my registration. First time they have checked mine.

11. Banned
    I hate to take this deeper, but those buying boats and other untitled assets need too take due diligence in certain states to be assured the asset is free and clear of bank or finance company liens. That means the seller should document to you the buyer where it was paid in full.

Otherwise, you will need to file a UCC-11 Request for Information with the State Secretary of State to make sure any UCC-1 Financing Statement has been released and the bank or finance company has no liens on place.

After all, you don't want a 6'7" repo man named Bubba hauling your boat away in the middle of the night and giving it to the real owner--the bank. It happens.