Nwe to Michigan, looking for suggestions on a new Dropshot combo

I just moved to the Detroit area recently and I'm new to drop shoting. Just wanted to get some input on everyone's favorite Dropshot Combo. Trying to keep it around $300.

I also left all my fishing buddies in Ky... Any suggestions on connecting with a few guys that wouldn't mind taking someone new to the area out on the water? I figured the BFLs would be a good place to start but the first two conflicted with the LBL division. I'm registered for the last two Michigan BFLs but currently waitlisted. If any one knows of someone looking for a link let me know. Thanks for taking the time to help!

2. Smallmouth Junkie!
    St.Croix Avid 6'9" ML extra fast action at $200.00 is a solid choice. Add a reel with a good drag and you have a nice combo. Tackle Warehouses 4th of July sales starts on the 4th. Usually 15% off plus free shipping and no tax.

I recently bought a Gloomis NRX 6'10" M extra fast action and absolutely love it. Crazy sensitive. I feel and catch way more fish with it. I have no regrets. But as I said above, the Avid is an excellent rod for the money.
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 07-03-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

This would make a good affordable combo... I love this rod for drop shot, I use a Plueger Patriarch reel, But I would consider this combo for the price. Abu Garcia Venerate MODEL # VNRTS702-4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201886740005

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Gloomis NRX +1

5. Member
    I have used and owned a ton of spinning rods over the years, including loomis, allstar, falcon, croix, lews, berkley, shimano, lamiglass and fenwick.......bang for the buck I love the Fenwick elite tech series. I prefer the 7'2" medium heavy. Tip is fast enough for drop shotting and it has plenty of power to fish tubes with heavier heads in 30+fow....you could pair this rod with a pleufger spinner and be right at 300. I prefer stradics, but that will put ya over.

FYI - a little more info in your profile or post may help with finding rides.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up going with the Cashion Rods 7'4" drop shot Rod and a 13 fishing Creed GT 3000 reel.

What size braid are most of you using for your drop shot setup?

I'm eager to get out on the water, if anyone has an open seat let me know, willing to pay gas/entry fees. Bank fishing just isn't the same...

8. Member
    Hope you like the new setup. For the money, I love the Shimano Compre and Crucial drop shot rods. When you get a deal on them, you can usually get the rods for $75-125 which leaves you plenty for a good reel. I would error on a quality reel and drag over a top end rod every time.

As for line, I use Sunline SX1 in 12lb and tie on Sunline Shooter in 6lb or 8lb depending on whether I'm fishing the lake or up the channels.

I occasionally have an empty seat. I'll hit you up if I get out anytime soon.

9. Member
    I am running 20 lb smackdown - really like it for dropshotting.
    Jack

2005 Ranger 520 DX
    2005 Mercury 225 Optimax Pro XS
    Mercury Trophy 24
    Mk Ultrex 110 Ipilot link
    Powerpole 8'
    Hb helix 9 di S/N
    Hb helix 10 si. S/N
    Garmin 10 UHD W/ Panoptix

10. Member
    TONS of great rods out there. For the big lakes (St Clair, Erie, Huron etc) 7 foot and up is always best. Always medium light for drop shotting. I build my own rods, so I can't suggest a stock one, but I'm sure you will like what has been suggested. I like to use the smallest hook possible. I think it keeps big smallies pinned and in clear water it might get you a couple extra bites a season. A lot of people run braid, but I'm a firm believer in straight flouro, 6lb Invisx. It's not a technique where detecting a bite is absolutely crucial, so I sacrifice the feel and line twist in hopes for more bites.

My last suggestion is try and not skimp on a reel. A quality reel with smooth drag and quality components will help with line twist and more important keeping them on when they charge at the boat (which they always do). Shimano Stradic Ci4 IMO is the only reel I will throw. The thing are just simply awesome.